My 2 cents for you guys.

pampy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope everyone here is doing well. First of, I would like to say thanks to each one of you, I´ve been working on a 1975 XS650B and all your posts, discussions, questions, tips, tricks and even fights have helped a lot hahaha. Its been almost 6 months since I found my new love sitting in a garage waiting for someone to bring her back to life. And daaaamn its been hell all along but the good type of hell you know? Ive been learning soooo much.

Well, since I´m in Mexico City, finding parts is a little bit difficult. There´s not much of a restoring culture here, its more like a "whatever makes it run is fine" haah. So must of my new parts were imported but this waiting game in order to receive spare parts made me think I could fabricate one or two of them, and that´s what I would like to share with you. I managed to replicate the clutch push screw housing in order to be 3D printed, maybe this file will help anybody here. I also created a file for laser cutting BS38 carb gaskets, I found aftermarket quality pretty bad so decided to cut my own kits. (Note here: I adjusted some wholes on the gasket for a perfect centered fit with the carb ducts.) I also designed a carbon holder in case someone needs it, and a complete choke lever. You can 3D print these parts using PETG filament.

Despite of being 3D printed and maybe some of you guys wont like it, these parts have been working flawlessly and are useful to keep the motorcycle running at least as new parts arrive. So, that´s my way of saying thank you for sharing so much knowledge. Feel free to contact me for the files.

Attachments

• CHOKE.jpg
    CHOKE.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 184
  • CHOKE2.jpg
    CHOKE2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 178
  • CARBON.jpg
    CARBON.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 186
  • PUSH.jpg
    PUSH.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 201
  • GASKETS.jpg
    GASKETS.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 186
Hello all, I hope everyone here is doing well. First of, I would like to say thanks to each one of you, I´ve been working on a 1975 XS650B and all your posts, discussions, questions, tips, tricks and even fights have helped a lot hahaha. Its been almost 6 months since I found my new love sitting in a garage waiting for someone to bring her back to life. And daaaamn its been hell all along but the good type of hell you know? Ive been learning soooo much.

Well, since I´m in Mexico City, finding parts is a little bit difficult. There´s not much of a restoring culture here, its more like a "whatever makes it run is fine" haah. So must of my new parts were imported but this waiting game in order to receive spare parts made me think I could fabricate one or two of them, and that´s what I would like to share with you. I managed to replicate the clutch push screw housing in order to be 3D printed, maybe this file will help anybody here. I also created a file for laser cutting BS38 carb gaskets, I found aftermarket quality pretty bad so decided to cut my own kits. (Note here: I adjusted some wholes on the gasket for a perfect centered fit with the carb ducts.) I also designed a carbon holder in case someone needs it, and a complete choke lever. You can 3D print these parts using PETG filament.

Despite of being 3D printed and maybe some of you guys wont like it, these parts have been working flawlessly and are useful to keep the motorcycle running at least as new parts arrive. So, that´s my way of saying thank you for sharing so much knowledge. Feel free to contact me for the files.
Thanks for your hard work You should be selling at least the gaskets to start with

Welcome to the party, Pampy! You made a great choice of year. Many say the '75 was the best paint scheme they made. 3D printing parts (until you can get the real ones) was brilliant! Like the old saying goes, "build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door". Unhappy with the quality of local parts? Nobody ever said you couldn't make your own. Use what you have, make what you need. While you're at it, check out the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" (if you haven't already seen it). It's not about an XS650, but it's based on the real-life story of New Zealander Burt Munro. That guy knew how to make whatever he needed! :bike: :cheers:

Excellent. I’m amazed at the things that can be produced with 3D printing. I don’t fully understand how one would create the file for a relatively complex piece like the clutch thingy, but glad folks like you have the smarts to do do. x2 for selling gloat bowl gaskets. They’d be cheap to mail. Good work.

Excellent work! Very resourceful way to get around problems.

I do a little basic 3D printing. At the moment I'm only using PLA filament which I seriously doubt would be adequate for the clutch worm.

What material did you use for yours?

What machine are you using for laser cutting? I'm toying with the idea of getting into that as well.

Welcome to the party, Pampy! You made a great choice of year. Many say the '75 was the best paint scheme they made. 3D printing parts (until you can get the real ones) was brilliant! Like the old saying goes, "build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door". Unhappy with the quality of local parts? Nobody ever said you couldn't make your own. Use what you have, make what you need. While you're at it, check out the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" (if you haven't already seen it). It's not about an XS650, but it's based on the real-life story of New Zealander Burt Munro. That guy knew how to make whatever he needed! :bike: :cheers:

Hehehehe had to manage my way through it! I could almost picture myself melting old chevy aluminum parts for my pistons hahahahahha just like Mr. Munro, damn I love that movie, makes me think almost anything can be accomplished but... maybe not the safest way lol Thanks for your message!

Welcome! Those float bowl gaskets look much cleaner than OE--nice work!
Thank you a lot, I was so tired of the gasket quality I was buying. Found out the imperfections of the gasket detached and floated all around my bowl and I thought laser cutting was going to be better than cutting with a press. IMO, the minimum changes I made to the gaskets allow a better an centered flow of the mix. Thanks for your message :)

Attachments

• old.JPG
    old.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 112
  • new.JPG
    new.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 119
  • old.JPG
    old.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 116
Very nice work, you just gave me an idea. My son in law just got a laser cutter for engraving wood. I wonder if he could cut gasket material. Hmmm
I´m pretty sure he can, this material is about 1mm thick. As far as I know, conventional laser cutters can work with material up to 12mm thick. (Not metal, those are other machines). Lets do business! haha I send the file and receive a dollar for each set sold. XD

Excellent. I’m amazed at the things that can be produced with 3D printing. I don’t fully understand how one would create the file for a relatively complex piece like the clutch thingy, but glad folks like you have the smarts to do do. x2 for selling gloat bowl gaskets. They’d be cheap to mail. Good work.

I started inkering with a program called Google sketchup, not that difficult to use, its like a 3D microsoft paint hahaha In case you are interested I can send a couple links for you to learn step by step. I´ll investigate how much would shipping cost via ebay, and also investigate a good price for this, have no idea. Thank you!

Excellent work! Very resourceful way to get around problems.

I do a little basic 3D printing. At the moment I'm only using PLA filament which I seriously doubt would be adequate for the clutch worm.

What material did you use for yours?

What machine are you using for laser cutting? I'm toying with the idea of getting into that as well.

I also started with PLA. As you say, PLA should never be used for mechanical parts, not even logos, i remember printing my Kawasaki logo once and it mas like melting with the sun hahha imagine that in a motor. These parts were printed using PETG filament, i would also recommend Nylon for gears(just certain type of gears) . PETG stands heat and humidity and oil pretty good, remember nylon doesnt like water. I don´t own a laser cutting machine, a friend of mine does and he´s the expert on that topic, I´ll ask him today.

Back