My 20+ year project

That windshield will help A LOT! Trust me, it makes a noticable difference especially when riding in cold temps. That little windshield helps create a wind tunnel that you must tuck your head down to fit inside. Once inside you have the added befefit of less air hitting your upper chest and going into the underside of your full face helmet. Thus reducing coldness, and dry eyes.

Meddy, I just reviewed this thread and must say you have done a truly wonderful job! I still eagerly await to hear if your disk brake runs silent after the sanding you gave. Will also be interesting to know if the wind shield deflects enough to make riding above 55 mph more comfortable.

Well done....

Thanks for the kind words Paul, I'm hoping my sanding hasn't upset the disc's too much, I had to do something though they were in a bad way. I will report back on the windshield and the brakes very soon I hope.

I'm still having problems with this Commando exhaust system from MikesXS, half mounting brackets in the kit are too short and the holes are not drilled large enough. I have some 25mm x 5mm flat bar stock that I am going to use to make some more suitable mounting brackets, more to come.

Another little side project I have been working on is my sidecover badges, as the bike is now just black and chrome the gold plastic badges were just no going to work. I wanted some chrome ones but nobody seems to make aftermarket ones and I don't believe Yamaha did any in chrome.
I eventually came across Molotow liquid chrome so I set about removing the gold paint from the badges with my Dremel and then giving the whole thing a coat of flat black.
IMG_20180908_162319.jpg

I then sanded off the black from the face of the badge where I wanted the chrome plating to replace the original gold.
It was then just a matter of going over the badge with the chrome pen to get the finish I wanted.
IMG_20180918_141947.jpg

And here, mounted on the side cover. It's a bit hard to get a decent pic of it as when I use the flash it reflects too much.
IMG_20181002_214629.jpg

You can if you want ( I have done this) is now clearcoat the emblem. You will make the flat black glossy, but it will protect them from aging.

I've been slowly working on this exhaust system for over a week now and it's been a real challenge especially for someone with my metalworking skills which amounts to drilling holes and some pretty average filing.
I had to try and work out how to get a decent mounting bracket onto the mufflers as the ones supplied in Mikes kit were useless, they were lucky to be 2" long and I needed ones about 10 " long.
Here's what I came up with, drilling the brackets.
00003IMG_00003_BURST20181003113228.jpg

I decided to fix these 2 long brackets to the original chrome muffler mounts and then spaced them out 20mm to allow the ends of the mufflers enough room so as not to touch the lower shock mounts.
IMG_20181008_154138.jpg
IMG_20181008_154212.jpg

Those brackets that slide into the muffler mounts allowing for a stronger connection were not in the package I received from Mikes so I emailed them and they said they would send some, the package turned up today with 1!! in it, I can't win with this system.
I bought this system because I wanted something that was going to be a simple bolt on installation and it definitely hasn't been that.
Another thing I just remembered, the header pipes don't come with the lower mounting tab like the originals they have to mount onto the supplied brackets with a chrome clamp similar to the muffler clamp.
Also found to mount the mufflers onto the headers they are too loose if you use 2 of the reducer rings and won't fit on with all 3, I had to scrounge around and find a piece of thin walled pipe to fit over the headers and then fit the 2 larger reducers.
These pics are just some I took today whilst test fitting, will post some more when it is fitted up permanently.

I normally run the supplied bracket up to the passenger peg mounting stud. Yes you have to drill out a hole to fit over that that stud. Also use stainless clamps from the local fleet store for the muffler header joint.
Strength-high-torque-Stainless-Steel-T.jpg_350x350.jpg

pipes 001.JPG swingarm.jpg
I'm somewhat of an exhaust expert, I believe "Madness" is on muffler pipe setup #5 :unsure: currently.

Attachments

• pipes 001.JPG
    pipes 001.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 167
We mounted the Commandos on my buddy's Special in a similar manner but we placed the spacer between the muffler and strap, not at the hanger .....

OJqIb1u.jpg

We also hung the muffler from the passenger footpeg mount like Gary did. This allowed us to use the supplied chrome hanger starp with all the holes already in it. It fit just right. Yes, you will need to install your own "P" clamp to attach the lower part of the headpipe to the frame. I made them up from stainless strap .....

PGZPNQY.jpg

Just finished fitting the exhaust this morning, still need to get some of those T Clamps that Garry suggested but I couldn't wait to get it on and fired up, sounds good, not loud, just how I wanted it.
Has a leak where the muffler joins the header as I expected from those reducers, I will remedy that when I get the different clamps.
So for the first time in over 20 years my bike saw daylight and I actually rode it up and down the drive a few times.:);)
Everything seems to work OK, clutch feels nice, brakes feel good, feels like a new bike.
A couple of quick pics I took sitting in the driveway.
IMG_20181011_120713.jpg
IMG_20181011_120846.jpg
IMG_20181011_120935.jpg

Now to get it Registered.
Cheers, Mick.

My calendar girl nominations are all used up Mick....

Anybody?

Got the T clamps for the mufflers this arvo, Couldn't believe they stocked them at our local metal supplies store.
Fitted them up and filled all the joins in those pesky spacers with hi temp silicone, fingers crossed all will be good tomorrow.
Yes I did have a couple of beers tonight to celebrate Jim.:cheers:
And thanks for the nomination Azman & Pete.

Back