My $40 Parts Score - I Think I Did Good

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Guy had a 650 motor on CraigsList about a month ago for $60. Sat outside and was stuck, pretty rough looking from the pics. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so, lol. It was still listed and now he only wanted $40. He bought the whole bike to get the wheels for an SR500 spoke wheel conversion, so he had some other parts too. Here's what I got for my $40 .....

The motor of course, but also a rear wheel, left & right switch assemblies, carbs, forks, battery box with electrics still attached, dash pod (with key), kicker, and a rear brake pedal pivot.

The motor doesn't look as bad in person as it did in the ad. Supposedly the speedo only showed 3100 miles. That would be great if I could get some low wear parts out of it .....

I have a couple other half trashed motors and I'm hoping now I finally have enough good parts between them all to get one good motor. These new parts are from a '77 which I consider a good year. I'd love to save the carbs, they're a good set as far as the BS38s go. They look unmolested, even still have the plastic limiting caps on the mix screws.

Back