My 78 hardtail project . Needed info on wheel swap

Flash1977

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been working on my 78 hardtail project. I currently have mags but would like spoked rims . I also have a 72 donor bike (because it doesn't have a title... Or registration) I am considering using the motor from the 72 as well just because it may be a bit better motor, but what I would really like help with is any info on what it would take to swap the spoked wheels over to the 78 tc bros hardtail and 78 frontend.(the 72 fork tubes arng great just so you know. )

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_232422588.jpg
    IMG_20230408_232422588.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 52
The 72 front end is 1 year only. In order to use the front wheel you would also have to use the forks.

The 72 front brake setup is unlike anything on any other bike that I am aware of. The brake rotor is not bolted to the spool.
Maybe these pics will help.
1681160412707.png
1681160470426.png

1681160522589.png

I think what GLJ is saying is that the disc placement may not be compatible with your front end. Spacers or not you still have to get the disc to work with the caliper position and the wheel alignment.

I'm not sure if I understand? Will this prevent me from adding a spacers to fill extra space? I have the 78 axels.
Best thing you can do is pop the front wheel off your XS2. Then you will understand.

The rear wheel is easy. I did the same thing with mine. Im no pro and I figured it out. I got ahold of a spoked wheel, had it re-laced by Buchannan's and it went right into place with a spacer. Your 75 axel may be too long (check the TC Bros hardtail instructions) and might need a washer 3/4" washer to take up a little bit of the gap. Also, if you want your axel adjusters to work you'll need a 3/4" washer on the inside and outside of the axel plate.

Yeah, the rear wheel is no problem: just spacers and alignment. The XS2 front wheel and forks are a really weird set-up with the rotor carrier bolted through the fork leg - not to the hub - with a 25mm OD threaded flange bushing and then the whole thing gets squeezed together with a 17mm axle that has a collar that is clamped in the other fork leg. I wouldn't use that set-up, by choice, on purpose........

I think what GLJ is saying is that the disc placement may not be compatible with your front end. Spacers or not you still have to get the disc to work with the caliper position and the wheel alignment.
Oooh. Hmmm. Well I guess that the kind a info I was looking for, whether I like it or not. I think I found a 19 inch front spoked wheel off an old cb350 or something. It has a drum on it . I've been playing with that idea to. Except I'm not sure what year or exactly what size Honda it is for sure which would make it hard to by new brakes for. I almost had a 78 xs400 parts bike but I missed out on it at the last minute. I'll keep looking in the mean time which is another reason I'm I posted this thread , I don't wanna by parts that won't work if I can help it.

I'm not sure about the CB350, but a lot of the older Hondas - even GL1000's - used 15mm axles. That makes it difficult to adapt to other fork set-ups. Life is easier if you let the forks you desire dictate what wheel hub you use. You can use your '78 forks with a spoke wheel so long as you stay with a 17mm axle: so any '73 - '78 standard XS and the '79 - '81 Special II spoke wheel models. All those have disc brake like the '78 mag wheel forks.

I'm not sure about the CB350, but a lot of the older Hondas - even GL1000's - used 15mm axles. That makes it difficult to adapt to other fork set-ups. Life is easier if you let the forks you desire dictate what wheel hub you use. You can use your '78 forks with a spoke wheel so long as you stay with a 17mm axle: so any '73 - '78 standard XS and the '79 - '81 Special II spoke wheel models. All those have disc brake like the '78 mag wheel forks.
Thanks again. With that said I kind of like the idea of having front and rear drum . I see some people run just a rear drum and no front brake, so I figure a drum up front would be better then no brake and I like the look of it. I would definitely use a spoked front wheel with a caliper from an xs if I can find one for the right price though. Also now that I know the axel size that the 78 has I can search for other bikes with that size axel. Now what about the rear. I have that 72 xs650 rear drum spoked wheel , any problems there? Keep in mind I have the tc bros hardtail installed.

Got one complete wheel and one hub, either would probably need a rebuild.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/front-wheels.58803/
Guessing would be a whole lot cheaper to ship just the hub if you're interested
Got one complete wheel and one hub, either would probably need a rebuild.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/front-wheels.58803/
Guessing would be a whole lot cheaper to ship just the hub if you're interested
How much are you asking for the complete wheel and does it have the spacers and or brake rotor with it?

Shoot me an offer, no spacers, your rotor off the mag wheel should fit. Different rotor offset early to late IIRC

I always thought the fork stem length was different on the early bikes than the later Specials??:umm:

Back