My 81 “Build” Thread

bkellis1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got things a little out of order with how I started my posts here on the site. Instead of introducing myself, I just jumped right in with some questions. This post is an attempt to correct that oversight and to start to document my journey.

Introduction: my name is Brian and I recently bought a 81 XS650H (wow, that sounds a lot like a AA meeting). The bike had no title and did not (and still does not) run. It’s already been chopped and modified in all of the ways I would have done myself, so I’m pretty happy with what I got, even though it doesn’t run… yet! With the information on this site and the help from you guys answering questions, I’ve already rewired the bike and rebuilt the carbs. Working on timing right now. So this isn’t so much of a build thread as it is a “how do I get this thing running” thread.

Here’s some pics as I’ve read that’s a pretty big thing with everyone on the site. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s mine now AND I have a title on the way with the help of the courts :)

Attachments

• 20220128_212531.jpg
    20220128_212531.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20211203_174549.jpg
    20211203_174549.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220105_172615.jpg
    20220105_172615.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220108_092220.jpg
    20220108_092220.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 105
Lemans or Tempest? 326 or 389?

Do you have a spark? If your ignition is OEM, there is no timing to set. The factory did it. Maybe your ignition is aftermarket?

Did you know there's a rally in Arkansas in May? You have a little time.

67 Lemans with a 400, 400THM and Ford 9" rear-end with 3.25 gears. That's my other project, but been working on that since the 80s, so need something new and exciting to fill my time. That's where this bike comes in.

The XS650 has a Boyer Bransden ignition and PMA. After rewiring I do have spark, so should be good there. I rebuilt the carbs, but they're leaking so going to take another run at that, then onto timing. Tried to verify TDC and cam location (pin at 12 o'clock) and that seems to check out. But no luck with initial startup. Figured it was timing but I didn't have the air filters on when trying the initial startup and read that might cause problems too, so probably going to check my float level first and then T fitting for leaks before proceeding.

As for the rally, that is interesting news. I live in St Louis so that would be a nice road trip.

Congratulations on the bike!
Welcome to the forum.
Most here love all kinds of bikes even if they have different preferences. I am certain that you will find the membership more than willing to help you through any issues and don't forget that the technical section is an absolute goldmine of information. I am constantly studying and learning from that section as well as the individual postings.
The car also caught my eye as well as the short block. Is that the powerplant for the car?
Funny how gear heads seem to gather.
Looking forward to following your adventures with your bike. Best of luck

Back