My engine rebuild from scratch!!

well done mate !:thumbsup:

you'll feel a lot safer tonight if they work lol:laugh:

so every cat in the neighbourhood will be setting them off all night long then :D

Thats why I set mine to about 20 seconds :wink2:

So I tore into the XS, after my morning ride on the CBR(!!!!), shopping, honey-do's(couldn't ask me yesterday, could she!!!), and my new tool wall I slapped together this morning.

After CAREFULLY removing the cover-the gasket was still in one piece, yay!- it dawned on me that the clutch basket has to come off, and also the shift arm! Not a happy chap, I tell you!

So after undoing the six screws that hold the basket together, I tried to undo the bolt, but the basket just spins!!! I could not for the life of me remember how I tightened it! Checked the build thread, and realised I didn't write(type) it down. Bugger........

After doing the dishes, searching the forum on how people did it as I don't have the tool to do the job, I suddenly came up with a BRILLIANT idea on how to do it!!

Here's how I did it!!

10652393964_128bf6e2e1_b.jpg

I added a nut under the mole grips so they stick out further, thereby locking the basket in place!

10652359895_aaae03f1e3_b.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pic, it looked fine when I took it! I guess not!!

Anyhoo, once the clutch was off, it was pretty straightforward really. Instead of removing the shift lever, I just removed the spring, and pushed the arm down.

Then I undid the little bolts holding the plate down, remover the one closest to the plate completey, but leaving the other one in but only just biting into the thread. This allowed me to move the plate out the way enough so the shaft can be accessed.

I took some Neodium magnets I have, a whole bunch of them actually! They only 5mmx5mmx1mm but quite strong! about 20 of them stacked up made for a nice magnetic pull! Pushed it up against the shaft, and carefully pulled. It only came out about 5mm, but that was enough to get my nose pliers in there and carefully pull a little further until I saw the notch!!

I then twisted it until it was where it had to be, and then tightened down the nuts on the plate, replaced the spring on the arm, put clutch back on(I decided to check the plates, and turn them so all the bevelled edges lie on the same side), tighten the bolts, and the screws, close the lid, and finish it off!

Best of all, I dreaded the kickstart would come out/fall out, just didn't want to do it all over again!!! But it DIDN'T!!! It stayed in throughout all of this!!

Well chuffed with myself! It was surpisingly quick as well, only just under two hours! Felt a lot easier too, like I almost knew what I was doing!!!:laugh:

Thanks again guys for spotting it, I do appreciate it, this is also part of the reason for me doing this, so that the guru's can spot my booboo's!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is the proof, I forgot to post it!!!:doh:

10652345145_c57273358a_b.jpg

well done AW
I'll have to get myself one of those magnets :wink2:

Thanks Peanut! Those magnets are evil lol! check out the BIG neodymiums, they are SCARY, they come with warnings of SEVERE injury!!!

Check this out!!

That's great news, Airwolfie !! Glad those NeFeB magnets worked out for you. Get some bigger ones. I've got several sizes and shapes including some magnet hooks and they are amazing. They are typically nickel-plated and are very brittle and the coating can chip off, so be careful letting them fly onto stuff (which is actually quite fun).

Thanks Peanut! Those magnets are evil lol! check out the BIG neodymiums, they are SCARY, they come with warnings of SEVERE injury!!!

Check this out!!

JEEESUS:eek::yikes:

thats amazing ...pity they don't have any means of fixing a cable to them. might be a fun thing to dredge some interesting rivers for artifacts :wink2: probably pull a boat out with that

That's great news, Airwolfie !! Glad those NeFeB magnets worked out for you. Get some bigger ones. I've got several sizes and shapes including some magnet hooks and they are amazing. They are typically nickel-plated and are very brittle and the coating can chip off, so be careful letting them fly onto stuff (which is actually quite fun).

No thanks to you I managed to save my engine from possible disaster! Thanks again for spotting that!

I do want to get some more, but I fear the worst..............magnet hoarding!!!! Funny thing is when they get delivered they usually get stuck on the side of the van dropping them off!!!:laugh:

thats amazing ...pity they don't have any means of fixing a cable to them. might be a fun thing to dredge some interesting rivers for artifacts :wink2: probably pull a boat out with that

Well you get all sorts with hooks, loops, holes etc in and on them, so probably very likely!

Sweet! Glad you got it fixed bro! Those magnets are no fucking joke!

Thanks Lex! No joke but fun to play with! Hehe!!:D

Airwolfie take one of those magnets and drop it down into a aluminum pipe.
The magnetic force that it produces will slow the magnet down and keep it from free falling.

Back