My first build is about 90% done

rodemyyamaha

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.. this is my first build... wanting to pay very close attention to details. I am freting over a couple of details that have held me up.
The bike has a lot of copper and copper powdercoating on it. The front copper fender is too high in the pic but that is not the final location.
The exhausts will have copper turn downs made from copper 90 elbows.
Will have Pamco ignition with monster green coils.
The engine only had 1500 miles on it but I replaced rings, cam chain and seals everywhere. The engine, wheels,spokes, fork downtubes are all bead blasted. I found a cool way of cleaning the bead blasted parts.... Easy Off Oven cleaner... mask off areas to protect then spray on... let set for a few minutes then wipe off.....
All of the wiring will be hidden in copper tubing.
Wiring... gawd I am intimidated by doing all of the wiring. The bike will be completely street legal with head/tail lights and turn signals.
Will have internal throttle and clutch to make the handlebars all nice and clean.
Can't wait to have this baby running.
DSC_0908-70003.jpg

DSC_0914-70002.jpg

DSC_0920-70001.jpg

DSC_0938-70003.jpg

DSC_0917-70002.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good whats the other side look like :) ? And what did you use for your electrics box? Some type of copper box or did you make it?

That thing is pretty sick. Good work dude. Won't it turn green pretty soon though? Or is there a way of getting around that?

How about sizing your photos before you post them? The board software resizes them so they look right, but it has to load the large photos first. Some of yours are 7000 x 4600 pixels. :eek::yikes::doh: If someone has a slow connection, they will never see your post, and it basically locks up their computer.

I would like to see more when you finish.

I think the shame is the powdercoat won't patina.

John

@gg - Thanks I have a lot of details and detail work left but steam punk is wicked cool.

@menhung - The other side is pretty much the same... not a lot going on there. The battery/electronics box was made from part of the original fender(the tubes on the box) and a sheet of copper I found out in the woods, I hammered and shaped the copper to conform to the shape of the fender mounts.

@pablo - Thanks... copper can be cleaned best by putting louisiana hot sauce on it for a feew minutes then wiping it off. The copper will shine brand new. You can also age the copper quickly to a green patina by leaving the hot sauce on it over night and it will have that rich green patina. I found this out when working on another project where I used copper.

@uknowme - Thanks -Mid controls. I found a really cool stainless steel piece I will use for pegs just have to make the mounting bracket for them.

@hook - photos resized.... should load faster.. my bad. The powdercoat actually has copper in it... I have done some experiments and once finished everything will have a nice patina to it.

@james - I am trying dude.. I am trying....

I really like the juice box. I'm not sure what you have planned, but it could use some break-up of the copper... particularly in the large PCed areas, since it doesn't really look like copper. Painting or PCing the headlight retaining ring and the handlebar risers black, as well as doing something on the tank would make the faux copper a bit less obvious.

Nice project.

I love the fenders! the welds on the seat bungs looks a little sketchy though. Good thing they're not that critical.

teebs, i thought the exact same thing with the black risers and breakin it up... wow... thinking like teebs... thats freakin scary! lol ;) kick ass bike btw! its looking good!!!

Back