My $Free.99 Project

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well I was able to scoop up a free '78 yesterday! A MASSIVE thanks to ronbayless for the hookup and figur8 for the help. Glad we could both help each other out. The bike is mostly complete, but I think my parts stash might be able to complete most of the rest of the needs with only minimal cash needed.

My plan is to simply get it running first, then fix the reliability and handling. Better shocks, spruce up front forks, new wheel/swingarm/neck bearings, more comfy seat, EX carbs, better brakes (brembo up front, maybe in back too), yada yada. First up though, is to get the title fixed and in my name! I'll have to do a bonded title, but my other XS is one of those too, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Anywho, let me know your thoughts and ideas if you have any!!!

Attachments

• 1503247386730.jpg
    1503247386730.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 764
Ron had it and was attempting to do some work, but simply didn't have the time. The PO to him was hacking his own hacks trying to get it to run!!! The right side switch is brand new (I think a Mike's piece), and I'll need to get a matching LH one too. Worst case after that will be to simply replace the wire harness, maybe see if Daddyg can make me one.

I was told it kicks over easily and has good compression. The head gasket has some signs of slight weeping, but otherwise everything looks to be in ok shape. A full refreshing of all the critical systems will be in order, and fingers crossed that no teardown is needed!!!

Hoping tomorrow I can make it to the DMV to start the title paperwork.

Well I've been fighting the TX system for this damn title for 2 days and have more to come!

-Yesterday, went to DMV title office and was told bike has never been registered in TX, so I needed to do a VIN check. "Go get an inspection anywhere". Ya, that doesn't work because they don't have the proper form.
-Today, go BACK to DMV w/ bike in tow and tell them to come out and look at the bike. They say they're not authorized and I need to go to a special office of a few municipalities. One of the two offices that will service my city said they only do it the 2nd Thursday of each month, next one being Sept. 14th. The more distant office does it twice a month, and one of those days is tomorrow luckily, so I'll get to take the bike 30 min south to get a simple form filled out.
-Then BACK to the DMV office to fill out paperwork, then to get a surety bond (which the state needs to be valued at $6k!!!!), then FINALLY to the tax assessor office to file for a bonded title.

The one saving grace is that I didn't spend any money on the bike, it's "only" cost me my time. The paperwork will cost $15, bond $100 and title another $25 or so. But I figure that having a solid title will easily net me that price if time ever comes to sell it, so there's that.

Scored a set of pit-free fork tubes for $30 today too, so that's good news. Also, I think I have QUITE a bit of the replacement parts sitting in my stashes around my families garages, so I should be good for a budget build.

Well I've been fighting the TX system for this damn title for 2 days and have more to come!

-Yesterday, went to DMV title office and was told bike has never been registered in TX, so I needed to do a VIN check. "Go get an inspection anywhere". Ya, that doesn't work because they don't have the proper form.
-Today, go BACK to DMV w/ bike in tow and tell them to come out and look at the bike. They say they're not authorized and I need to go to a special office of a few municipalities. One of the two offices that will service my city said they only do it the 2nd Thursday of each month, next one being Sept. 14th. The more distant office does it twice a month, and one of those days is tomorrow luckily, so I'll get to take the bike 30 min south to get a simple form filled out.
-Then BACK to the DMV office to fill out paperwork, then to get a surety bond (which the state needs to be valued at $6k!!!!), then FINALLY to the tax assessor office to file for a bonded title.

The one saving grace is that I didn't spend any money on the bike, it's "only" cost me my time. The paperwork will cost $15, bond $100 and title another $25 or so. But I figure that having a solid title will easily net me that price if time ever comes to sell it, so there's that.

Scored a set of pit-free fork tubes for $30 today too, so that's good news. Also, I think I have QUITE a bit of the replacement parts sitting in my stashes around my families garages, so I should be good for a budget build.

Obviously I found your thread here garrett.Wow, I had no idea you would have such a hassle and they would run the price up like that.Our bloodsucking government at work.But your buying price was fairly cheap.lol.

Congrats and THANK YOU for rescuing that thing, lol. From what I could see, that last owner was doing more damage than repair.
thats a downright slam against me.I did no damage.I replaced many damaged parts.I get really tired of people trash talking about me 5 twins.I have never done that ever to anyone on any forum in the last 20 plus years.There is no excuse for doing that.

Ron had it and was attempting to do some work, but simply didn't have the time. The PO to him was hacking his own hacks trying to get it to run!!! The right side switch is brand new (I think a Mike's piece), and I'll need to get a matching LH one too. Worst case after that will be to simply replace the wire harness, maybe see if Daddyg can make me one.

I was told it kicks over easily and has good compression. The head gasket has some signs of slight weeping, but otherwise everything looks to be in ok shape. A full refreshing of all the critical systems will be in order, and fingers crossed that no teardown is needed!!!

Hoping tomorrow I can make it to the DMV to start the title paperwork.
I do believe I got the right side switch from Mikes xs.It was about $40.00

I believe the exhaust is a Mikes unit, but I've not yet confirmed this. Other than some pitting, it's in fairly good shape.
Oil cooler is a lockhart unit, came with a matching bypass, but at first glance, it might be installed backwards. I'll need to check this.
Ron, I believe you are correct, side switch is from Mikes. I just need to get the matching left side and I'll be working nicely.

Ron didn't do anything wrong to this bike, he is a competent wrencher and was simply trying to get the bike going again. The PO did a lot of damage to the wiring trying to do god knows what. I trust his thoughts on the bikes condition, but as I dig deeper, I'll have to see what the actual's are. I've still not turned the motor over yet, but Ron said there was good compression and it kicked over properly.

No worries about the title Ron. I've done bonded titles before, but I've never had to get it checked. Just another wrinkle in the brain for a lesson learned about what to expect in the future!!

My fingers are crossed than I can simply replace all the normal wear items (bearings, filters, tires, etc.), throw some tuned EX carbs on and start test riding. Then will come some treats like the suspension upgrades and whatnot. All in all, I want this to be a patina'd runner. Nothing ridiculously fast, just something reliable and rides good, handles well, stops properly and is fun to ride!!

Question: What seems to be the consensus for the best rear length shock for good handling? 13.5 or 14? I'm going to get some Hagons down the road (great bang for the buck) and want to liven up the handling some. What's everyone think??

That piece of blue wire he had dangling would have been long enough to reach the positive side of the battery to hot wire the bike.wire from battery to coils.Of course risking trashing the coils and ignition.But he had taken the battery and cables out.I am not surprised if the oil cooler is backwards.I sure hope it works out for you.

You may need to use a spare engine or be prepared to rebuild the motor, top end at least.................If the bike was used for any length of time with that oil cooler then there could be damage to the top end, Cam, rocker faces..............In Rons thread, one post he mentioned the engine had been sitting without one spark plug. He kicked it over a few time and come to the conclusion it had compression. Then removed the other spark plug and kicked it over 20 or so times.......Never mentioned anything about putting some lube in the bores before doing this so.........i cringe to think of that bore with no plug, sitting for years and all that crud getting smeared in the cylinder.

may want to rethink the title till the engine is checked out.

That oil cooler has a real weird set up...........2M did a test and it Takes 12 seconds for the oil to get to the head when first starting, (factory set up).............Imagine how long it takes to fill that cooler before any or the full amount of oil is getting to the head............

Good info. I'll be moving forward on the title regardless and if the top end needs a rebuild, then so be it. It will hurt the budget, but it will be donw properly. I certainly don't want to split the cases though!

If the cooler thermostat was install backwards, then it's a good possibility that it was simply re-routing the oil back into the motor and never letting it pass into the cooler.

I didn't read all of Rons other thread, so fingers crossed that nothing nasty is happening!!

You may need to use a spare engine or be prepared to rebuild the motor, top end at least.................If the bike was used for any length of time with that oil cooler then there could be damage to the top end, Cam, rocker faces..............In Rons thread, one post he mentioned the engine had been sitting without one spark plug. He kicked it over a few time and come to the conclusion it had compression. Then removed the other spark plug and kicked it over 20 or so times.......Never mentioned anything about putting some lube in the bores before doing this so.........i cringe to think of that bore with no plug, sitting for years and all that crud getting smeared in the cylinder.

may want to rethink the title till the engine is checked out.

That oil cooler has a real weird set up...........2M did a test and it Takes 12 seconds for the oil to get to the head when first starting, (factory set up).............Imagine how long it takes to fill that cooler before any or the full amount of oil is getting to the head............
Before I ever kicked the motor even once I put 2 tablespoons of oil down each sparkplug hole.That is how I discovered one had no plug in it.After sitting for 24 hours thinking I had a seized engine I figured I had a parts bike. There was no drive chain on it.So neutral was constant with no chain.I checked just for grins and found the bike was in 4th gear. I clicked it onto neutral and handmoved the kicker. It moved through its entire range. After a few days time wrestling with the wiring I took out the 2 new plugs I had bought and kicked it over 20 or more times. Then I put the plugs back in. Skull's recommendation about checking the motor before titling it sounds smart to me. You said you had a xs bobber. So at worst you got a free parts bike .I hope the motor is ok. No one knows .Soon you should. I did not intentionallt leave out prelubing the cylinders. I was so frustrated with the wiring I didn't mention that.The motor does move freely.It sat inside a sealed garage,one with wiring,insulation,interior walls for probably 20 years. maybe the motor is ok.

Before I ever kicked the motor even once I put 2 tablespoons of oil down each sparkplug hole.That is how I discovered one had no plug in it.After sitting for 24 hours thinking I had a seized engine I figured I had a parts bike. There was no drive chain on it.So neutral was constant with no chain.I checked just for grins and found the bike was in 4th gear. I clicked it onto neutral and handmoved the kicker. It moved through its entire range. After a few days time wrestling with the wiring I took out the 2 new plugs I had bought and kicked it over 20 or more times. Then I put the plugs back in. Skull's recommendation about checking the motor before titling it sounds smart to me. You said you had a xs bobber. So at worst you got a free parts bike .I hope the motor is ok. No one knows .Soon you should. I did not intentionallt leave out prelubing the cylinders. I was so frustrated with the wiring I didn't mention that.The motor does move freely.It sat inside a sealed garage,one with wiring,insulation,interior walls for probably 20 years. maybe the motor is ok.

This is good to hear Ron, thanks for that info. I'm going to borrow the borescope from work and have a peek in the motor as best I can. Fingers crossed everything is ok.

Back