My $Free.99 Project

Don't take this for any more than words on the Internet. I have read where guys have run mismatched head/cover with no problems.
Yeah, I think it's possible you might get lucky. I've got a mismatched set that's off, but it's so close I think a little dressing on the alignment dowels would allow it to work. At least that's my plan if I ever need it.

Got the new motor out of the crate, but upon inspection, noticed that a previous owner removed the upper motor mounts!! Damn chopper guys.....

So bare minimum, needs a new valve cover to fix that problem. Motor needs a GOOD cleaning, seems the last guy to run it used it like a dirt bike. Will get a thorough inspection too before I decide if I want to re-ring or do anything else.

But it's out and in sight, maybe if I put it next to the bike, something will magically happen.....
I have run several XS's choppers and and regular without the head stay with no effect. I wouldn't sweat it to much.

Ya, i've heard a bunch of guys say "no problem" and a bunch say "don't remove it". Logic is all over the place for why either way. My logic is that if anything has detrimental effects on handling or vibrations, i'd like to eliminate them. I'm setting up this bike to be a nice sleeper with (respectively) good handling (emulators, fork brace, swingarm improvements, KONI's, etc.).

Mostly I'm just trying to narrow down my choices so I can make a more informed, decisive conclusion. IF I luck out and can use a spare cover w/o alignment issues, then I'll do that and be done with all this. If I can modify the existing one reliably, then I'd like to have that option in my back pocket too....

Ya, i've heard a bunch of guys say "no problem" and a bunch say "don't remove it". Logic is all over the place for why either way. My logic is that if anything has detrimental effects on handling or vibrations, i'd like to eliminate them. I'm setting up this bike to be a nice sleeper with (respectively) good handling (emulators, fork brace, swingarm improvements, KONI's, etc.).

Mostly I'm just trying to narrow down my choices so I can make a more informed, decisive conclusion. IF I luck out and can use a spare cover w/o alignment issues, then I'll do that and be done with all this. If I can modify the existing one reliably, then I'd like to have that option in my back pocket too....
Been following this with interest. if you need covers I have a couple I don’t need. Yours for shipping if that’s at all helpful.

been awhile since an update! pulled the motor and am prepping the D-port for eventual install. Also found a guy in the Czech Republic selling a big brake kit, so I'll be able to run a floater 320mm front rotor and a 4 pot caliper from a mt07. Then I'll try to run the floater caliper from Mikes out back (with the conversion kit from Pandemonium) and a single piston brembo. Should be nice!

I'm going to hack up one of the spare rocker covers i have to attempt find a top mount solution that will be acceptable. Fingers crossed!

Well, I think I found a solution to the top motor mount issue. I hacked up a spare rocker cover to see how the process would go and came up with holes in the corners of where the mounts were. I tested this by drilling all the way through and have 1+" of solid "meat".

I ordered some EZ Lok inserts with an external thread of m10x1.5 and an internal thread of m6x1.0. I'll set these in around 0.5" depth and then cut out a plate to go over the milled areas. Once the motor is back in and torqued down, I'll cut up some side plates go up to the frame and then weld them to the rocker mounts.

About as close as I'm going to get with my current situation. I'm happy with it!!!!

Attachments

• 20211204_214107.jpg
    20211204_214107.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 82
Ruh Roh....

Anyone have a rephased shell #1 cam in good shape? Might have a solid rephase 447 to help out. Otherwise, hopefully the current cam can be ground to new specs (don't wanna hardweld). Pistons are taken care of.

Attach113771_20220105_213907.jpg
Attach113772_20220105_213922.jpg

Ya, that's my fear.... Someone did this motor dirty...

Ok, fears confirmed. New rods needed. Being a welded crank, that means new crank needed.

New cam needed, so trying to source non-hardwelded options with a shell #1/mega 250-20 profile. If I can't, then rockers will have to be hard welded to match to avoid the cam chewing them up.

Bottom line, gotta split the cases now. VERY likely I'll send the trans out for REM, as the price is quite fair ($263).

Last edited:
Built a vapor blaster and did the motor. Gotta clean it really well and start reassembly!

Attachments

• 20220807_222616.jpg
    20220807_222616.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220807_222607.jpg
    20220807_222607.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220807_222557.jpg
    20220807_222557.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 59
Back