My herd just grew....

IMG_0365.JPG
Congratulations Pete! We all need at least one bike that doesn't need us.

THAT is an absolutely appropriate way of putting it Jussum!

BTW - that’s a snazz Yamaha - is that an FJ09?

Pete

Some good breaking news about that buddy I mentioned earlier. We just got back from looking at a bike owned by someone he works with. We looked at it 5 or 6 years back and from what I remember, it was kinda rusty and the guy wanted too much. It was in a dimly lit barn back then though. Fast forward to today. The bike was out in the open, in a well lit garage, and isn't in too bad a shape at all - and the guy just wants it gone, lol. 1983 XS650 Heritage, about 30K miles, not charging, $200 !!! I would have bought it for that, lol. This guy bought it from the original owner maybe 15 years ago so all the original stuff is there (tool kit, security chain). And it has the 2 factory original plastic headed keys. And still sports the buckhorn bars, lol.

My buddy got it. He was looking for what he thought was a parts bike but this one is too good for that. He offered to split it with me though. He said we could fix it up and flip it. But I don't think I'd want to part with it then, lol. Even though these very late model 650s aren't my favorites, for that price I could put up with their "short comings". I don't care for the ugly humped seat or the added "safety" features (sidestand and clutch interlock switches). On the other hand, I do like the factory braced centerstand and the oil sight glass right cover. I think it also has an 85 mph speedo which I'm not crazy about. How can I know if I broke "the ton" with that? lol lol

Happy News biker buddies!

My bike collection grew by one today when my shiny new Suzuki SV650A arrived from the dealer.

View attachment 113095

Yeah, I know it isn’t a Yamaha XS650 - but I’ve got two of those and I have no intention of selling either.

The problem is that my other modern ride is a Honda ST1300 which is a fantastic long distance mile-eater (kilometres in Canada, I guess) but it’s a bit much for commuting to work (6 miles each way). A friend suggested that it’s like taking a B52 to go drop off your drycleaning.

My Yamahas (a ‘76 Standard - the infamous Lucille and a yet-to-be named 1981 Special which is becoming a Cafe bike) are a ball to ride, but the el-cheapo vintage bike insurance I have on them prohibits me from commuting on them and my usage is limited to 3000 km/year - which is nowhere near enough for me. The other thing is that the Yamahas seem to require a fair bit of maintenance and fiddling and while I enjoy doing that, I don’t like having to count on them when I really need to get to work.

Sooooo.....obviously, I needed a modern, mid-sized bike for commuting and general booting around - that doesn’t require much daily fiddling.....

Ok, ok, ok - that all sounds like a bunch of bovine excrement to rationalize / disguise the fact that I simply wanted another bike - and if that’s what you think .....well, you’re right on baby!
View attachment 113096

The Suzuki’s journey to my garage is quite the tale of woe. Its about a 2-beer story, but in short, I actually agreed to buy the bike in (I think) late October and planned to pay for it over 3-4 months to spread the pain - but then to get the 5-year warranty, they decided that I need to pay all of it by the end of 2017. I argued that successfully and it seemed that all was well until a couple of days after Christmas when they moved my bike from the showroom to the storage barn for the rest of the winter.

That night - the frickin’ barn burnt to the ground...... (check out “Hully Gully fire”)....

...and not one of the more than 150 bikes survived (including some bikes still in crates, some new customer bikes, some older ones in winter storage and a few valuable vintage bikes plus a whole whackload of snowmobiles and waterski boats). My beautiful blue SV650 was gone - just a puddle of melted aluminium and plastic. It really was a terrible fire and a lot of people came out much worse than me - although there were no fatalities and even the watch-dog got out OK. For example, the paper reported that one guy had bought a brand new Yamaha 900 sport bike and had fully paid for it - but had not yet arranged his own insurance coverage - and now he has nothing to show for his $17,000 purchase except the 2017 Yamaha brochure.

My bike hadn’t been fully paid for and so it wasn’t in my name at the time of the fire. The dealer offered me a matte black bike for the same money, but I really wanted the blue and so I held out till they found one. The (second) new blue bike turned out to not be a demo unit and so there were freight and PDI charges on it. I pointed out that I hadn’t known that my original bike was a demo (it had 0.4 km on it when I agreed to buy it), it wasn’t my choice to move the bike to the barn, nor did I burn the barn down. Anyhow, we see-sawed back and forth on that issue and I wound up with big discount on the freight and PDI plus a $500 gas card and free delivery today (the dealer is about 220 km away) - so I’m happy.

Anyhow, that’s my latest motorcycle adventure - in the cold dead of a crappy long winter (am I a disloyal Canadian?) - I hate this weather.

Anybody else want to describe the other bikes in their fleet?

Cheers,

Pete
Well, Pete, if you're a disloyal Canadian, I'm a disloyal Michigander!

Well, Pete, if you're a disloyal Canadian, I'm a disloyal Michigander!

Yup - agreed Aldo - winter is getting less and less appealing every damned day. It’s been cold and damp for a long time and I’m tired of it.

P

There’s a reason so many Canadians have made Arizona their home away from home.
Hear that ringing Pete? The desert is calling.....pick up!

I can't believe I used to work outside in this weather, and did so for nearly 40 years. Now that I'm retired, I don't miss that part of the job at all. There are a few things I miss, but all in all, I don't miss lots more than I do, lol.

I think it also has an 85 mph speedo which I'm not crazy about. How can I know if I broke "the ton" with that? lol lol
If he want's to deviate from "stock" justa little, I'm sure I can come up with a speedo that breaks a ton.
I can't believe I used to work outside in this weather, and did so for nearly 40 years. Now that I'm retired, I don't miss that part of the job at all. There are a few things I miss, but all in all, I don't miss lots more than I do, lol.
Same here. Miss the job... not the cold

After living in the Northeast for 63 years,
I have come to appreciate the Winter months as a period of Sweet Deprivation,
an essential starvation of that which feeds my soul: the two-wheeled pursuit of The Open Road.
upload_2018-2-3_19-26-8.jpeg

Come Spring, the opportunities to feed this intense thirst come to fruition,
and the feelings of satisfaction, perhaps somewhat resembling (to a small degree)
those of the families of servicemen returning from a tour of Duty,

mRLSlZZcRsomZ3GFQrnTP_y_86b5_XBTIeNfwZS2dOiKUD2HEQ.jpg

for me last for much of the season.

In this way, the Winter is Good.
ps: Thank You to all the Servicemen and Women.

Last edited:
View attachment 113098 I'm with you on the maintenance. I have three XS 650s and each one runs but requires constant TLC. I just wanna go on nice days, Ha! Nice new ride you have! I know nothing about that bike but I'll look it up. Right now, my 2010 Speedmaster has taken a shit. This was my daily, reliable, get on and go ride. Looks like some $100s to get this back in action. Electrical issues.

Hi JRay,
fwiw, my son's '80 XS650 sidecar rig starts every time as does the '74 CB750 his ex-boss gave him because it'd been parked in the ex-boss's back yard for a decade or more. Which is just as well because his allegedly reliable 2005 Speedmaster won't start at all because it's electronic modules won't talk to each other and there's three of the expensive little bastards.

Hey Lakeview:

Wow - that little buzz-bomb is going to look cool and be fun blasting around the back-roads of Chatham-Kent! Lemme know when you're going to pick it up and I'll drop out to your place and hitch along if that would be alright. I'd like to see that dealership and I'll give you a hand loading-unloading.

Pete

PS - the engine looks JUST like an SV650 mill cut in half. ;)

You will not believe the size of the place - showroom has room for at least 10 double rows of bikes with clothing and gear at the side of that and parts on the back wall with service and offices behind that. All the Japanese brands except Honda, plus Aprilla and Husky, plus Can Am plus sleds and ATV's.
Used bikes on the mezzanine. Wow.

Back