My How Time Flies.

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
During my second cup of coffee this morning I looked at the calendar to see what was lined up for the coming week. What I saw kinda stunned me for a moment. Thirty years ago... seems like a lifetime.

PXL_20210116_172733955.jpg

Thirty years ago today... Jan. 16, 1991, the assault to take Kuwait back from Iraq was put into action. Desert Storm had begun.
A little background... On Aug. 2nd, 1990, Hussein's Iraqi army invaded and occupied Kuwait. The next day, Aug 3rd, I was (previously) scheduled to take my last Oath of Enlistment... the swearing of loyalty to the Constitution. I raised my right hand, said the oath and was duly sworn in as a Master Sgt for another 4 yrs. My Captain shook my hand, chuckled and said "Congratulations. By the way... you're on load 1... go draw your gear." We were part of the Rapid Deployment Force... on 24hr notice at any time. The next day we saddled up on a KC-10 for the longest ride of my life... from climbing the ladder to deplaning was 23 hrs. Almost a full day of sitting in a web seat, in full gear, shoulder to shoulder with a hundred other troops. First class on Delta it wasn't. We landed at a bare base in the middle of the desert. Three kc-10's, 300 troops with 26 F-111's in tow for an air armada that went from Mt. Home Idaho to Saudi Arabia in just under a day. Not an easy feat if I do say so....

We were the first in. Over the next few months we would make several moves and eventually grow to over 4000 troops and 106 aircraft. But those first few days we were only 300 strong, facing an army of over a million. No one knew what Hussein was planning. He had Kuwait and there was speculation and a real possibility he would continue his conquest into oil rich Saudi Arabia. We called ourselves "speed bumps." About all we could accomplish in that event was slow him down. I hadn't had a cigarette in over 2 yrs. That night I walked over to the BX tent and bought a pack. It would be another 20 yrs before I put 'em down again.

We trained and waited for five and a half months... in a sweltering desert. 16 hr days with no days off... for five and a half months. To say that we were ready to get on with it would be an understatement.
The night of the 16th we launched all of our aircraft... loaded for bear. For the first time in five and a half months it was deathly quiet on the ramp. We hunkered down and waited for the counter-strike... that thankfully didn't come, at least not that first night.

The next 6 weeks were a blur... something I've still not completely sorted out in my mind. We'd launch a strike package and waiting on the ramp was a previous one. We'd marshal 'em in, reload, refuel... fix what was broke, and send 'em back out... and another package would taxi in. 48 to 60 hr stints was the norm. You'd work 'till you couldn't, then find a dark corner to shut your eyes for a while.... get up and do it again. The noise was constant. You learned to sleep through it.
Somewhere in that blur was a few Scud missile strikes... and 2 dead mates. I remember pausing long enough to say a prayer... someone sang Amazing Grace, then we went right back at it.

Then as suddenly as it started, it was over.... we won. Going home would wait another 3 months.... there was a half a million of us to sort through.

This is the short version of a story I've been meaning to write for 20 yrs now. When I saw that notation on the calendar this morning it all came flooding back in one big rush. I had to sit down, as it was almost overwhelming.

Thirty years ago.... how time has flown.

Last edited:
"Thank you for your service" just ain't enough, Jim. The debt of gratitude us cake-eating civilians owe you and your mates is incalculable. And your story would not only make an excellent book (I'd buy it), but a great movie too (I'd go see it). There hasn't been a whole lot of screen time dedicated to America's longest war.

Last edited:
I just saw this Jim, that’s a hell of a story. I can’t even imagine what a deployment like that must’ve been like. You’re right, realizing that happened thirty years ago is hard to believe. I was working as a mail man when that happened, I used to keep a radio in my shirt pocket and ear phones in, listening to non stop news coverage of the war. Then I’d go home and watch it on TV. It was just an unbelievable event and the Air Force was the star of the show. Thanks for writing this, and you should definitely put your memories on paper, if only for your kids to better know their old man! ;)

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I just saw this Jim, that’s a hell of a story.
<snip>
Thanks for writing this, and you should definitely put your memories on paper, if only for your kids to better know their old man! ;)

I agree! Many times I have wished my dad had wrote up some of the things he lived through, the good and the bad. There are only a few bits and pieces of things I can recall hearing him talk about.

I know when he was a teenager he dropped out of school after 8th grade and spent some time working in a logging camp in Minnesota with his dad. I know he had a pretty good scar on the top of his head where he said his dad dropped a tree on him, I think it was an accident! Somewhere along that time he had a Henderson motorcycle and also worked in a saw mill doing something with sorting logs as they came down to be sawn.

I wish that I had talked with my Dad and Grandpa more. Dad was born 1916 in Hamburg GE. Grandpa was in the Navy. Guess he had a ship or 2 torpedoed from underneath in his time. In the mid '20s the family came to New York and lived in the German neighborhoods. I heard bits and pieces of growing up in that time. Mom was from Germany too but , about 10 yrs later. She told snippets of life back then too. All passed now.
My step daughter could care less about my past. She has blessed Mom and I ,2 grandsons though.....

Thanks Jim. In those days I was working on the TR1 long range Synthetic Apperture Radar set (think looong range imaging quality) data. The system was maintenence intense and our program decided to have 2 engineers on site for the duration. Management decided each team would be on-site (which meant a tent at the end of the runway) in Suadi. I was one of the two to be the second team in. It went so fast that my team never rotated in.

Thanks Jim. In those days I was working on the TR1 long range Synthetic Apperture Radar set (think looong range imaging quality) data. The system was maintenence intense and our program decided to have 2 engineers on site for the duration. Management decided each team would be on-site (which meant a tent at the end of the runway) in Suadi. I was one of the two to be the second team in. It went so fast that my team never rotated in.
Yes, thanks Jim and you too Kevin.

During my second cup of coffee this morning I looked at the calendar to see what was lined up for the coming week. What I saw kinda stunned me for a moment. Thirty years ago... seems like a lifetime.

View attachment 182832

Thirty years ago today... Jan. 16, 1991, the assault to take Kuwait back from Iraq was put into action. Desert Storm had begun.
A little background... On Aug. 2nd, 1990, Hussein's Iraqi army invaded and occupied Kuwait. The next day, Aug 3rd, I was (previously) scheduled to take my last Oath of Enlistment... the swearing of loyalty to the Constitution. I raised my right hand, said the oath and was duly sworn in as a Master Sgt for another 4 yrs. My Captain shook my hand, chuckled and said "Congratulations. By the way... you're on load 1... go draw your gear." We were part of the Rapid Deployment Force... on 24hr notice at any time. The next day we saddled up on a KC-10 for the longest ride of my life... from climbing the ladder to deplaning was 23 hrs. Almost a full day of sitting in a web seat, in full gear, shoulder to shoulder with a hundred other troops. First class on Delta it wasn't. We landed at a bare base in the middle of the desert. Three kc-10's, 300 troops with 26 F-111's in tow for an air armada that went from Mt. Home Idaho to Saudi Arabia in just under a day. Not an easy feat if I do say so....

We were the first in. Over the next few months we would make several moves and eventually grow to over 4000 troops and 106 aircraft. But those first few days we were only 300 strong, facing an army of over a million. No one knew what Hussein was planning. He had Kuwait and there was speculation and a real possibility he would continue his conquest into oil rich Saudi Arabia. We called ourselves "speed bumps." About all we could accomplish in that event was slow him down. I hadn't had a cigarette in over 2 yrs. That night I walked over to the BX tent and bought a pack. It would be another 20 yrs before I put 'em down again.

We trained and waited for five and a half months... in a sweltering desert. 16 hr days with no days off... for five and a half months. To say that we were ready to get on with it would be an understatement.
The night of the 16th we launched all of our aircraft... loaded for bear. For the first time in five and a half months it was deathly quiet on the ramp. We hunkered down and waited for the counter-strike... that thankfully didn't come, at least not that first night.

The next 6 weeks were a blur... something I've still not completely sorted out in my mind. We'd launch a strike package and waiting on the ramp was a previous one. We'd marshal 'em in, reload, refuel... fix what was broke, and send 'em back out... and another package would taxi in. 48 to 60 hr stints was the norm. You'd work 'till you couldn't, then find a dark corner to shut your eyes for a while.... get up and do it again. The noise was constant. You learned to sleep through it.
Somewhere in that blur was a few Scud missile strikes... and 2 dead mates. I remember pausing long enough to say a prayer... someone sang Amazing Grace, then we went right back at it.

Then as suddenly as it started, it was over.... we won. Going home would wait another 3 months.... there was a half a million of us to sort through.

This is the short version of a story I've been meaning to write for 20 yrs now. When I saw that notation on the calendar this morning it all came flooding back in one big rush. I had to sit down, as it was almost overwhelming.

Thirty years ago.... how time has flown.

You are an exceptional man to step into that darkness with your military comrades. We all owe you a debt of great thanks. You might say ‘I did my duty’ and of that there is no doubt. But I’m sure fear and apprehension underlined everyone on that first flight; to a man and woman? What you did was no different to the human rights defenders of WW1 & WW2. War is war wherever and whoever starts it. It’s the innocents like you that defend the human world against tyranny.

You are an exceptional man to step into that darkness with your military comrades. We all owe you a debt of great thanks. You might say ‘I did my duty’ and of that there is no doubt. But I’m sure fear and apprehension underlined everyone on that first flight; to a man and woman? What you did was no different to the human rights defenders of WW1 & WW2. War is war wherever and whoever starts it. It’s the innocents like you that defend the human world against tyranny.
Thanks Adam. Yes, to a man... and yes, woman... we'd all say we just did our duty... simple as that really.

Holy smokes - I just noticed this thread and wow, that is an inspiring and daunting tale of your career 30 years ago Jim.

I'll just join the others in saying that "thank you for your service" hardly seems adequate.

Kindest regards,

Pete

Yes, thanks Jim and you too Kevin.
Like @Jim puts it,, we all (Veterans) served for various reasons, not accolades. Except for draftees, some may be amongst us here, it was a personal decision weighing pros and cons. I spent the rest of my life till now reaping the benefits of the comraderie, training and discipline and hoping just a little of what I may have done hurried the fall of the Berlin wall. Friends at Hughes Aircaft Company, back in the day, were part of the disarmament verification teams who witnessed and documented the deactivation of Soviet Missle silos. So I have that.

Last edited:
Back