My new project

riversmw

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 1973 xs650 basket case. The frame has a custom hardtail and is raked. The guy I bought it from said the motor was recently gone through and ran strong before disassembly to redo the frame. He threw in tanks, fenders and many chopper parts. I need to buy a donor bike for the wheel setups and a few odds and ends but a great start for $400. I am sure I will be learning a lot through these threads, so I figured I'd post my own progress. The attached picture is where is currently sits in my garage. At a quick glance, it looks like I need a seat, wheels and I'll probably buy a wiring harness pre-made (any suggestions?)

Attachments

• 20220801_123713.jpg
    20220801_123713.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 105
Who's a good boy...... :laugh2:
Welcome to the forum. A hardtail isn't my style, but I enjoy watching any build come together.
Following.
Btw, my two dogs are extremely.... um.... "helpful" out in the garage. ;)

Welcome aboard. Keep us up to date with progress and post plenty of photos along the way.

Regarding the wiring: I prefer to do my own, but I've got the tools and some experience. I could recommend the needed supplies, but it would cost more than an aftermarket complete harness (model specific) from mikesxs.net. Wiring diagrams and other great info in the "Tech Section" on this site. Many great suppliers out there for XS/TX650 parts - mikes has near everything - some of it is not a good deal. Don't be shy about asking about an item before you buy; members here happy to suggest the best source.

Who's a good boy...... :laugh2:
Welcome to the forum. A hardtail isn't my style, but I enjoy watching any build come together.
Following.
Btw, my two dogs are extremely.... um.... "helpful" out in the garage. ;)
Mine steals nuts and bolts so I have to keep an eye on him lol. Once I find some wheels, I'll get it into a roller and start the fab work for the seat and brakes. Wheels are surprisingly hard to find in CNY

lol
mines's strictly there for the cookies - spoiled

Very good harness. Only complaint is I asked if he was doing any Black Friday specials and he told me no. A few weeks after buying I saw he had one going. Again, product was great but customer service seems to be an issue. I got mine pretty quick but shortly after I saw people complaining they didn't get theirs. Him being hard to get ahold of was something I experience through Messenger but he was very responsive through text.

Back