My no I`m not restoring a Cushman thread

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this would be a good day to strip down the Cushman and get it ready for the "Wipe-n-Spray".:thumbsup: I rounded up a 7/16-1/2-9/16 and a Crescent wrench, Band Aids and a bottle of peroxide. Everything unbolted pretty easily until it came to the brake pedal. It`s held in place with a 3/8X2" pin that goes through a 3/4" bung. The cotter pin came right out but the pin didn`t. I tried heat, PB Blaster, and a air chisel with no luck. Time to break out the Boeing Surplus drill bits and 1 1/2 hrs later it`s done. The pin has been rusted in there since 1957 but I`m blaming it all on the Monkeys Greatest Hits album I was listening to. Tomorrow I`ll remove the wheels and forks, buy some degreaser and take it to the car wash.
DSCN0700-001.JPG
DSCN0697-001.JPGDSCN0699-001.JPGDSCN0694-001.JPGDSCN0692-001.JPGDSCN0695-001.JPGDSCN0703-001.JPG

Cool beans. "I'm a believer." :lmao:
Sorry, couldn't resist. What's the plan... survivor?
Nope. The Used Car Kwiki. We`re talkin alkyd enamel over bare metal. When I was 12 and had a identical scooter I replaced that ridiculous muffler with a half of mom`s vacuum extension tubes. It was chrome and just the right size. I know the other half of that is around here somewhere, It better be, it`s only been 63 years.

Oh Cool! :popcorn:
Cushmans go for stupid high $$$ these daze.
My first "motorcycle" was a Cushman Eagle with the two speed transmission.
Dad found it cheap somewhere and dumped it on 14 year old me. I think it was a plot to keep me too busy to engage in other more nefarious pursuits.
Started a LIFETIME of two wheel wrenching trouble!
Two years later I had 3 "need love" 305 Scramblers, notice a trend?
I suspect there's a lot of that round these here parts.

Oh Cool! :popcorn:
Cushmans go for stupid high $$$ these daze.
My first "motorcycle" was a Cushman Eagle with the two speed transmission.
Dad found it cheap somewhere and dumped it on 14 year old me. I think it was a plot to keep me too busy to engage in other more nefarious pursuits.
Started a LIFETIME of two wheel wrenching trouble!
Two years later I had 3 "need love" 305 Scramblers, notice a trend?
I suspect there's a lot of that round these here parts.
DITTO.:thumbsup: Exactly what Gary said. The hardest thing about having a Cushman at a early age was prying dad off it so I could ride it myself.:shrug: The neighborhood I lived in (still do) was scooter crazy in the late 50-early 60`s.

I thought this would be a good day to strip down the Cushman and get it ready for the "Wipe-n-Spray".:thumbsup: I rounded up a 7/16-1/2-9/16 and a Crescent wrench, Band Aids and a bottle of peroxide. Everything unbolted pretty easily until it came to the brake pedal. It`s held in place with a 3/8X2" pin that goes through a 3/4" bung. The cotter pin came right out but the pin didn`t. I tried heat, PB Blaster, and a air chisel with no luck. Time to break out the Boeing Surplus drill bits and 1 1/2 hrs later it`s done. The pin has been rusted in there since 1957 but I`m blaming it all on the Monkeys Greatest Hits album I was listening to. Tomorrow I`ll remove the wheels and forks, buy some degreaser and take it to the car wash.
View attachment 236975View attachment 236976View attachment 236977View attachment 236978View attachment 236980View attachment 236981View attachment 236982
I love the Monkees.
Michael Nesmith put out a number of solo albums, and was a decent songsmith and guitarist

I love the Monkees.
Michael Nesmith put out a number of solo albums, and was a decent songsmith and guitarist
Well in actuality I liked them too. At least enough to buy their album. I believe Michael Nesmith had a group called the First National Band? I got a late start today but it`s almost disassembled. Things went a lot smoother with Roy Orbison`s biggest hits. Just need to figure out how to get the main fork bolt out.:umm:
DSCN0708-001.JPG
DSCN0707-001.JPG

With two Cushman's in the stable... My 62' is a weekend rider and easy maintains city street speeds. A couple of buddies rode theirs to Sturgis and back.. 1200 miles. I'm ok with 12 miles. We're lucky here in the cities we have a fellow who has more Cushman's and Cushman parts the Dennis Carpenter. My other... " Cushman " is a " restro mod " 1948. 😎

Attachments

• Cushman clip.jpg
    Cushman clip.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 56
  • Bug wall.jpg
    Bug wall.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 55
The "Wall of Death", a must see at any event. Motorcycles and Go Karts defying gravity with centrifugal force.:yikes: What`s not to love.:heart:

View attachment 236975View attachment 236976View attachment 236977View attachment 236978View attachment 236980View attachment 236981View attachment 236982
We have a soft spot in our brains for Cushmans.

Back