My not a build thread 1980 XS650G

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well I thought I might consolidate the goings on with my 1980 XS650G from across many threads, not a build thread as it is a running bike but an ever evolving one. I was given this bike by my Father in law when we got married. He was the original owner and bought the bike new in 80 in Shawnee, Ks. The dealer that he bought it from (long out of business) is about 4 blocks from where my wife and I now live. Sometime around 2007 I changed the buckhorns to a pair of bars from a 1978 Triumph T140 that I had. The T140 is long gone but the bars stayed on the XS. The seat has been recovered with a cover from the UK. And the shocks have been replaced with "low cost" remote reservoir shocks. Recently installed Commando 1.5" exhaust from yamahaxs650.com and started putting things like turn signals and reflectors back on the bike.
oldXS2.jpg
oldXS1.jpg
IMG_8997.jpg

The side covers do not match the bike because over the last 2 years both have made the decision to depart from the bike while in motion due to the installation of side cover retainers from MikesXS. I cannot discourage you enough from buying these junk side cover retainers, they are garbage and now I have to repaint my side covers as most of the original paint was left on the blacktop.:banghead::cussing:

I still have the back rest, I could just put it back on. But the giant chrome eagle on the back of it isn't really my cup of tea. I'm a less is more kinda guy and not really into trying to Harley-ize my British inspired Japanese bike... At least not this one, I guess my XS650 bobber might be a different story, but I didn't even put a sissy bar on it. I honestly don't really ride this thing far enough to necessitate any gear tied to it. I am by all accounts a fair weather rider, so I'm really all the sissy this bike needs:p

Are you keeping the bars positioned like that? They look funny because they're rolled so far forward, not to mention the bad angle that puts your MC reservoir at. For best suspension action, the rise of the bars should be in line with the angle of the forks. That will also improve the way the MC sits, and the looks.

For best suspension action, the rise of the bars should be in line with the angle of the forks. That will also improve the way the MC sits, and the looks.
I set up my rototillers like that and it puts them in a very comfortable position. As someone said, "Like reaching for a handshake."

Back