My not a build thread 1980 XS650G

Are you keeping the bars positioned like that? They look funny because they're rolled so far forward, not to mention the bad angle that puts your MC reservoir at. For best suspension action, the rise of the bars should be in line with the angle of the forks. That will also improve the way the MC sits, and the looks.
No I’m not, they are rolled forward because I was waxing the tank. I pushed them up out of the way. Just haven’t pulled them back down yet.

That kind of stuff reminds me of this guy....:lmao:

Even if that most likely is a joke
Headbutting and Biker bars can be subjects best left out
I am getting old ,,but I don't think Brad would have any problems at a Biker bar or Club back then ..
He is a beginner and everyone can see that .
But hes is patient and can take a joke bordering to Ridicule. Does not appear aggressive.
I think he could find friends ..and not getting into trouble . Within Car och Motorcycle Clubs
He would be welcome .. Everyone had started fresh some time .. and was a beginner ..Not everyone is a rocket Scientist either
The ones that got into trouble are those with the cameraman's attitude towards other. People
Getting the wheels taken off the car . Perhaps .A punch on the nose ...
You don't talk trash about other peoples bikes especially not just coming home with a new one.
You don't talk trash about clubs
You don't talk to Friendly or Trash to unknown ladies.
As long as Alcohol is not Involved Brad would be fine .. Here .. At most places ,,there was places sometimes
to eventful but you just don't go there

And if you have the same interest and behave according to a few not so difficult rules No worries
But again the Cameraman's attitude. . Would not take long before he needed to Explain what was going on.
Could go wrong rather quick.

Got my new tank badges from Mike’s (not impressed), got my 32T sprocket and new chain installed. Got it down off the lift and out of the garage for the first ride since new exhaust and 32T sprocket. HOLY SHIT! It’s a whole new bike! I can hear myself think and it’s not trying to beat me to death at 55mph. I should have done this years ago. According to my 501 dyno it’s making better torque in the lower RPMs even with the taller final drive with the better exhaust.
75B109F7-81FA-469B-8DF7-2AD24A6C8978.jpeg
C7CC2047-E40C-4A39-B447-A0AA27A8A52D.jpeg

I was telling Machine, that I had a tail light like that on my old ‘76 650. The more I keep seeing them, the more I want one! They just look right. :geek:
They do seem to lend themselves to XS’s. Even the wife remarked how drastically it changed the look of the bike. It is substantially brighter than OEM. I “unlowered” the bike but it looks lower with the Lucas now than it did without.

Yes, those Lucas replicas are shiny and sleek!
They mount up best on a 81up style tail light hole pattern. Minimal hole adapting on a short clean fender too !
20210403_142502.jpg

20210403_142802.jpg

:rolleyes: look at how long the Standard rear fender is in comparison. This 78E is going to get the short fender/ Lucas copy!
Looks Sharp!

Last edited:
Yes, those Lucas replicas are shiny and sleek!
They mount up best on a 81up style tail light hole pattern. Minimal hole adapting on a short clean fender too !

78SE-79SF/2FSII-80G rear guard has better bracing on the rear of the guard due to the larger Brake/Tialight than the 80SG and later ones

Had to drill the One forward center mount location.
Pics, the two lower holes can become the new lower holes. The 3rd becomes the wire loom thru rubber.
I did custom shaped the arc of the body to fit the fender radius nicer.
20191219_185810.jpg

20200501_174746.jpg

It's also very easy and a good idea to swap in the OEM Yamaha bulb socket. The Chinese one is cheaper than walkie talkie wires.
20200427_060433.jpg

20200502_100927.jpg

20200504_173339.jpg
20200430_060920.jpg

Last edited:
Well the time has come (10,000 miles) to change the clutch, it’s slipping. I picked up a new set of frictions from Cruzin Image, as well as a set of BS34 slide/diaphragms.
631CF135-8BA9-428B-AB7C-F22649936A75.jpeg
image.jpg

Please let us know how those clutch plates work. I picked up a set as well but haven't tried them yet. They are very reasonably priced compared to most others.

Had to drill the One forward center mount location.
Pics, the two lower holes can become the new lower holes. The 3rd becomes the wire loom thru rubber.
I did custom shaped the arc of the body to fit the fender radius nicer.
View attachment 188317
View attachment 188318
It's also very easy and a good idea to swap in the OEM Yamaha bulb socket. The Chinese one is cheaper than walkie talkie wires.
View attachment 188319
View attachment 188320
View attachment 188321View attachment 188322
@Machine this one is a full LED array, no socket. It’s MUCH brighter than stock.

20210425_145034.jpg

What does the lens pattern look like?
LED is a non issue with me as all my XS's have just had bulbs. Plenty bright.
I have hoarded another of these because the new lenses have a much more "modern" pattern. The center round rings of old better match the XS round turn signal lenses (red) for a real clean match.
This light needs all the radius profile shaping and hardware upgrades to be for my 78E one of these days on a nice 81 rear fender I found for $20...

View attachment 189974
What does the lens pattern look like?
LED is a non issue with me as all my XS's have just had bulbs. Plenty bright.
I have hoarded another of these because the new lenses have a much more "modern" pattern. The center round rings of old better match the XS round turn signal lenses (red) for a real clean match.
This light needs all the radius profile shaping and hardware upgrades to be for my 78E one of these days on a nice 81 rear fender I found for $20...
No concentric rings.
image.jpg

Back