My not a build thread 1980 XS650G

This is looking great!

What are you unhappy about with the new badges?
Compared to the originals they are very flimsy, and the holes are not spaced properly. The chrome has that dull silvery cheap look. Having said that, for the price and availability they're not terrible.

Picked up these 100% Genuine imitation leather (all those poor Naugs) square bags. I’m actually pretty pleased with how they look on the bike. They were about as cheap as you can get at $55 but they will serve my purposes well. They will hold a 6pack or some parts from the auto parts/hardware stores so I’m happy.
E70A9234-58F0-490F-B4B0-23AADBEB5814.jpeg

Rustiepyles - excuse my lack of knowledge of the G Models.
Is your bike XS650G classed as a Standard model or is it a Special. The reason I ask is because there is a Special model called the XS650SG.
I beleive the XS650G (not Special) has points and a "normal" Alternator (no Trigger for the Elecronic Ignition).
The XS650G (not special) has the engine/frame number starting in 3GO. Can I ask if your'se does, and does it have points and a normal alternator.
The reason I am interested is because I am getting a 3GO stamped motor (to rebuild) and the person selling it to me has informed me it has factory fitted points and a normal alternator (no trigger).
650Skull may be interested in my questions, for his records.
Thanks Rustie - Regards Ray.

That's an SG
Don't think any standards were sold in the USA after 79.
The lock down of ignition and carb adjustment for the EPA forced it.
But think you are right, points bikes were sold for another year or three in other markets.

gggGary - thanks for the reply. The motor I am getting has an engine number starting 3G0, which according to Skulls charts is called a XS650G, and according to the seller, it has points and a normal alternator and was imported from USA.
Skulls charts also show the XS650SG, which I suppose is a Special and has a prefix 3G1, and I suspect would have electronic ignition.
I am just trying to learn/sort myself out about the motor I am getting so I know what parts to order - in case they are any different from other models.
Would the 650G be called a Standard or are they all Specials by the time the G's came out. The 650G is listed as a 79/80 - same as the SG.
Thanks for youre help - Regards Ray.

The "G" model is what was called the Special II, a budget model of the Special. It had spoke wheels instead of the mags and a rear drum brake instead of a disc. There were a few other cost-cutting cosmetic differences as well like black footpeg brackets and a black front motor mount. On the regular Special, these items were chromed.

But will they hold the ice ?
Well the beer store is only 2 blocks away so I can get em home before they get warm, honestly I can drink them before they get warm.:sneaky:
The "G" model is what was called the Special II, a budget model of the Special. It had spoke wheels instead of the mags and a rear drum brake instead of a disc. There were a few other cost-cutting cosmetic differences as well like black footpeg brackets and a black front motor mount. On the regular Special, these items were chromed.

That’s correct, US G models were TCI. But were “stripped down”. They were equipped with standard taillights, spoked wheels, 16” rear, no lower side covers. They were essentially a standard with a few minor differences.

That's an SG
Don't think any standards were sold in the USA after 79.
The lock down of ignition and carb adjustment for the EPA forced it.
But think you are right, points bikes were sold for another year or three in other markets.
It’s definitely a G, they were sold in the US but they were TCI equipped. The 80 G&SG had no motor differences but many cosmetic differences. As @5twins stated, black peg mounts, black motor mount, rear drum, spokes, tubular grab bar, standard style seat.

I am only the second owner of the bike, my father in law bought it new in 80 and I have pictures of it new so I know EVERY modification that’s been preformed. I also have all the original purchase paper work and every part that’s been changed I still have the original with the exception of the stock exhaust. Here’s the bike in 80.
D19F3EC6-E5B1-46AF-8B9D-1C1E92CEE3D1.jpeg

The Special II uses the Special type frame (more laid down shock angle, bar instead of loop for muffler and passenger pegs) so it can't really be called a "Standard". The last real Standard was in '79, at least in this country anyway. I'm not sure if the Standard frame continued to be used in other markets, maybe it did.

The Special II uses the Special type frame (more laid down shock angle, bar instead of loop for muffler and passenger pegs) so it can't really be called a "Standard". The last real Standard was in '79, at least in this country anyway. I'm not sure if the Standard frame continued to be used in other markets, maybe it did.
Correct the frames (as far as I know) are the same. The special II cosmetically more closely resembles a standard but is not technically a standard. And yes the rear peg/muffler stays are the same as an SG.

Yes, it's a Special. I have one of each and they don't have quite the same feel, even with pretty much the same mods (tapered roller steering head bearings, better rear shocks, TX750 swingarm, fork brace). For some reason the Standard just feels more "planted" and stable. Maybe it's the slight difference in frame geometries?

Rustiepyles - excuse my lack of knowledge of the G Models.
Is your bike XS650G classed as a Standard model or is it a Special. The reason I ask is because there is a Special model called the XS650SG.
I beleive the XS650G (not Special) has points and a "normal" Alternator (no Trigger for the Elecronic Ignition).
The XS650G (not special) has the engine/frame number starting in 3GO. Can I ask if your'se does, and does it have points and a normal alternator.
The reason I am interested is because I am getting a 3GO stamped motor (to rebuild) and the person selling it to me has informed me it has factory fitted points and a normal alternator (no trigger).
650Skull may be interested in my questions, for his records.
Thanks Rustie - Regards Ray.
It is a Special II (G) it has a TCI (factory) and it is a 3G0.

They were equipped with standard taillights, spoked wheels, 16” rear, no lower side covers. They were essentially a standard with a few minor differences.
Um, a Special II is a "Special" mostly.
Standard models were quite different.
Frames, Fuel tank, Exhaust, Seat, Gauge mount angle, Shock length, Fenders, Tail Light! It's a long list..
1 1a.jpg

The top shock position is the only difference between the frames. All other measurements are supposed to be the same.

You have mentioned the difference the rear wheel makes to the handling and feel, didn't you change the special back from an 18" rear wheel to the 16".

Wonder if a 16" was put on the rear of a standard frame with the straight shock angle would make it feel different. I have a 75 frame that was converted to the mag wheel disk brake rear with the 16" wheel. never rode it it was a roller.

The standard framed bike was continued in Europe and japan for 80 and 81, was sold up till 82 as far as i know

Europe
80-81 Euro J01.jpg ,Clipboard 5.jpg

Japan
Yamaha TX 4E3_2.JPG Yamaha TX650 80 8200408B2013121900200.jpg

Back