My rebuild journey. (old title: Future owner - Help me identify this 650.)

That's why it literally pays to learn how to do a lot of this stuff yourself.
A big Yes to that ..
I would not have driven an XS 650 at all given the " Zero Cost " approach I went for at the start.
Putting in a lot of hours just to get it approved and running.
There was people saying about English bikes
" If you cant afford a new bike don't buy it "
If you buy a cheap old bike and don't do anything your self the shop cost including towing it there
can ruin the finances. And you still have no bike to drive with.
Here are present Amazingly jaw dropping competence that sometimes don't realize it themselves.
World class is a great understatement.
30 + years Experience of The bike and other Hands on experience .Some worked Professionally Best ever ..

But if you are careful doing things reads the manual and instructions .. Asking for advice and help Take the time Everything is doable on these bikes . For most Not saying everyone but most.
I do believe. besides machining should that be needed.
Sometimes it goes wrong. Bolts breaks thread strips .But that happens for all especially in the beginning.
You utter some words that don't look good in Writing and perhaps throw a tool into the ground.
Then you fix it.

And in fact it might be done better than a " Half A*s " Shop not having time to do it properly.
More skilled in writing the bill than doing the job.

Exactly. I paid shops several times over the years for slipshod work and it finally dawned on me that I could probably do a better job myself. What the heck, it was worth a shot anyway, and if I did screw it up, then I could take it to a shop and pay them to fix it, lol. Thankfully, that never happened. Granted, I've had to buy some specialty tools, but I don't mind. Use them once, sometimes a couple times, and they pay for themselves in labor costs saved that I would have had to pay a shop.

Wheel work is a perfect example. About all you need is a good spoke wrench. You can make a wheel stand easy enough and just use a pointer for truing. But a better way to true them isn't that expensive. A cheap dial gauge and magnetic holder from HF will let you get the rim true within a couple thousandths .....

full

full

Well I guess it was just the drugs I'm on :rolleyes: couldn't find that 16 SPII wheel, sorry, take up 5twins or machine's generous offers on their correct straight $100 wheels.

Sorry, I don't have any for sale. They're getting so expensive, I'll most likely keep what I've got. It took years to accumulate them, lol. Gary, a '79 SPII wheel would have had an alloy rim, right? Then he'd have been in the same mismatched rim boat buying that $300 18" wheel would have put him in. I wouldn't even consider paying that much for a wheel unless it was totally redone with stainless spokes, new bearings, new brake shoes, and polished. That's all stuff you might have to do to it on top of it's $300 initial cost. Parts alone would set you back at least another $100, probably more. I buy whole bikes for less, lol.

Not having tools factors into alot of the cost for me. So with cost of new spokes + a wheel stand + tools such as irons

Things don’t always have to be expensive. Just be creative. :) And as far as being inexperienced, that’s the way everyone begins. :thumbsup: Very few of us are formally trained mechanics. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
upload_2021-1-26_12-35-16.jpeg

If you were to slather up the cat tail with polishing compound before giving it a good spin perhaps some of that work would be even easier.. :)

Yeah and the yowling as the cat spun around would be relaxing. Hardly perfect but all the spokes are turning in the nipples, brake drum is good, now true enough I'd ride it with no worries. bit of "surface rust" on the spokes. Guy could spend 4 or 5 hours polishing and it'd look nice.

It's trued up and I'll sell it the way it is.
somewhat wire wheeled, bare wheel no brake plate $120 plus the ride. figger $30? usps

It's trued up and I'll sell it the way it is.
somewhat wire wheeled, bare wheel no brake plate $120 plus the ride. figger $30? usps
I might take you up on that. I just took it for a spin. Got to 40mph and didn't feel and significant jossling with my current wheel.

Back