my semi-homemade key duplicating machine

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
$_57.jpg

I've been scouring eBay for key cutting machines for years, but they are a pretty popular item, and were always too expensive. Like starting at about $200 for a decent used one.
Then, back in August, this antique machine came up. I was the only person who bid on it. Got it delivered to my door for $24.03.

DSC08196.JPG

It came with this crank handle, but I think a previous owner must have added it. It was impossible to accurately trace the key to be copied while simultaneously hand-cranking.

DSC08197.JPG

So, I found this little universal sewing machine motor on AliExpress for $22.01 delivered to my door. I chose this one because it came with the mounting bracket, which I had to alter by bending 90 degrees. The only catch is that all of these various little motors are 220 volt, which is somewhat inconvenient.

DSC08200.JPG

The little V-belt also came from AliExpress, for $3.01, delivered. The toggle switch was bought in bulk years ago, probably about $2.50.
So, I'm all-in for less than $50.
So far, I've duplicated one early XS650 key, and it works great.

51OIrOJi+HL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Lishi-key-Cutter-Stainless-Cutting-Vehicles/dp/B09S14YWQV
A little more info:
A have duplicated literally dozens and dozens of 70's Yamaha motorcycle keys over the years using the above key nibblers.
You can find them on AliExpress, which is where I got mine, for about $25, delivered.
Here's a good video of them in use. JUMP TO THE HALF-WAY POINT.

The video makes them look a lot easier to use then they really are. Which is why I've been looking for a motorized machine.
Blame it on 5twins. He told me a few years ago that he found a used key cutting machine for $75. I think his is one of the classic American-made Foley Belsaw workhorses.

Back