my Suitcase Cycles

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Been wanting to share my Suitcase Cycles for a long time. It's an interesting story, that I will tell over several posts.
Suitcase cycles were modified so that they could be broken down without tools s and put into small airplanes.
A must-read history is here:
http://www.check-six.com/Suitcase_cycle/Suitcase_History.htm
Next, go to every link in the menu bar at the top of the page. All kinds of cool vintage pics and stuff.

DSC00657.jpg

Here is my 1974 Honda CL125 Suitcase cyle...

DSC00672.jpg

...and this is my 1972 Suzuki TS185 Suitcase Cycle.

That’s pretty awesome!

I have seen and worked on a few folding scooters from the 50s but never seen a motorbike.

makes sense though with air travel being much more accessible at the time.

Hobie made some pretty awesome break apart surfboards at that time too.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Suitcase still in business?
You HAVE to read that link I gave, it's really interesting and worth it. Here's the link again:
http://www.check-six.com/Suitcase_cycle/Suitcase_History.htm
The company was successful BUT... here's what happened, quoting from the link:
Jeff estimated that there were around 1,000 suitcase cycles built, including the sale of the do-it-yourself kits. But unfortunately production came it a halt in 1974. “We stopped manufacturing Suitcase Cycles because of the issues with product liability laws,” said Shapiro. “This was a time when everyone began being sued for anything and everything. Plus, some of our suppliers were told by Honda and Suzuki not to sell motorcycles to us. They still did but I believe they suffered consequences from the big boys.”
t
te
Where the heck did you find these things, lol. And how'd you even know they existed?
My adventures with Suitcase Cycles is pretty darn interesting. Bought my first one for $25. Details coming...

I can remember seeing adds for the Suitcase cycle in the flying magazines thinking what the hell is that about.
When I first visited Dogbunny the TS185 was in his driveway and I had to check it out. I think he was surprised that I knew wHat is was and how it worked.
I love single cylinder 2 strokes anyway and the TS is way cool. They were popular with the yachting crowd also.

Back