1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

My Summer 2021 Chopper Build 1976 XS650...but... a small issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freakchopper, Oct 22, 2021.

1. freakchopper

freakchopper XS650 Enthusiast

I can't get it started. I installed a ... New fuel tank, New Fuel Line, New Spark Plugs, New Battery ... although it came with a Hughes PMA already installed. Previous owner said it had a no spark issue. Check out the photos ..any advice or criticism is appreciated.

Scripto VU and gggGary like this.
  2. freakchopper

Does anyone know what the toggle switch on the right of the ignition is for ? ... it has 3 positions. 20211022_190550.jpg

Boog likes this.
  3. freakchopper

This is what it looked like back in April when I first bought it. u1.jpg

Boog likes this.
  4. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Sweden
    Is there a hole there If so It perhaps needs a patch pipe over it
    Cylinder head looks like leaking need tightening

upload_2021-10-23_2-44-19.png

Boog likes this.
  5. freakchopper

ok...on that particular picture I just wanted to know what the toggle switch to the right of the ignition was for ..it has 3 positions. ..not sure if it has something to do with the Hughes PMA ignition system..??

6. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

best guess on toggle is headlight. but start tracing wires cuz; custom.
    Lets see inside that round cover on the end of the cam.
    While you're at it lets see inside the lower round cover too.
    [​IMG]

Boog likes this.
  7. freakchopper

8. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Jim likes this.
  9. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

No wires from the cam cover. Looks to be crank fired whatever it is.

gggGary likes this.
  10. gggGary

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    freakchopper and Jim like this.
  11. gggGary

here's a hand drawn diagram found on here, should be enough to check your wiring.
    [​IMG]

Boog and freakchopper like this.
  12. freakchopper

hi..thnks all .... it is a kickstart. No electronic ignition. Correction..I meant Hughes charging not Hughes ignition. This is my first experience with an xs650, kickstarts and the Hughes PMA ( not familiar with any of this) . I am doing this on the fly. I will use that diagram and do some checking. I just don't have any idea if it is the Hughes system or something else. When I go to kick it ..it seems pretty dam dead to me. I don't even know if I'm kickstarting hard enough ..?

13. freakchopper

Also..I have a Mikuni carburetor on this bike... when I went to fill the fuel tank for the first time , I noticed fuel was leaking out of the rubber lines coming out of the carburetor. The leaking stopped after awhile. Is this normal ?

14. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

Seems like it may be a good idea to do some investigation and sort out what all your parts are before trying to drive the thing down the road.

Kickstart only means no electric start, not no electronic ignition.

get an absolute base line for all the things you have. Then you can try to understand how they play with each other.

Seems you’ve little experience with these (or motorcycles in general) and a highly modified bike by a PO that based on the pics didn’t seem to do such a stellar job. That can certainly be an uphill battle if you don’t take your time. You don’t want it ending up in a sidelined project or one that spends all its time getting fixed and never ridden.

None of this is a shot at you, just a suggestion to pump the brakes and move slow (you could be sorting this bike out for months to make it reliable) prepare for a long haul. If it’s quicker, all the better!

2BallCane, gggGary and freakchopper like this.
  15. freakchopper

..sound advice...appreciate it !!

gggGary likes this.
  16. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Following Gary's advice and giving us some pics of what's under the engine covers would go a looong way toward figuring this out.

gggGary and freakchopper like this.
  17. freakchopper

Previous owner did say he could not get any spark .. I changed the plugs hoping that would solve the issue, but it still didn't fire up. These are the plugs I installed

Attached Files:

18. freakchopper

will do !

gggGary likes this.