My Summer 2021 Chopper Build 1976 XS650...but... a small issue

"kicking seems kinda dead"
The kick start operates through the clutch, the clutch lever, cable, ramp can be mis-set so that you are not actually turning over the motor but just slipping the clutch. You wouldn't be the first to find that was an issue.

Last edited:
I can't get it started. I installed a ... New fuel tank, New Fuel Line, New Spark Plugs, New Battery ... although it came with a Hughes PMA already installed. Previous owner said it had a no spark issue. Check out the photos ..any advice or criticism is appreciated.

Hi fc,
as it wasn't you who turned that XS650 into a dog's breakfast I can only praise your attempts to get it running again,
First, check that the brakes work. If the bike does start you'd best be able to stop it, eh?
Check the spark by pulling both plugs, laying them on the bike's cylinder head while still connected to their cables,
turning the key on and kicking the engine over.
As to what the 3-position switch functions are, if it was a Lucas-equipped Britbike they'd be Off, On and Intermittent.
As your bike was wired by the dreaded PO, you can only check what works and what don't as you change the switch positions.

20211022_190612-jpg.200303

If you can pull off the save, I think you may have a pretty cool chopper. It's definitely from another time. I like it.

Someone requested these pics.....but.. I don't think reveal much that pertains to the starting issue I'm having.

Attachments

• 20211023_154353.jpg
    20211023_154353.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211023_154640.jpg
    20211023_154640.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 100
First pic confirms it's a crank fired iggy. Now pull the small cover (2 screws... directly below the cover you pulled) on the bottom left of the engine so we can see what it is.
Second pic is the intake valve cover... nothing to do with electrical.

Someone requested these pics.....but.. I don't think reveal much that pertains to the starting issue I'm having.
first pic is helpful, second is oops, I wasn't clear, need a shot inside the cover behind the shift lever.
But we've prolly established you have a Hughes CDI system, have you traced, confirmed it's wired like the diagram I posted above?
If that is outside of your abilities, yeah you will need someone who can do that. Have that diagram with you, when you go see them.

Hi fc,
as it wasn't you who turned that XS650 into a dog's breakfast I can only praise your attempts to get it running again,
First, check that the brakes work. If the bike does start you'd best be able to stop it, eh?
Check the spark by pulling both plugs, laying them on the bike's cylinder head while still connected to their cables,
turning the key on and kicking the engine over.
As to what the 3-position switch functions are, if it was a Lucas-equipped Britbike they'd be Off, On and Intermittent.
As your bike was wired by the dreaded PO, you can only check what works and what don't as you change the switch positions.
..: ) ....dog barf...lol....I have to agree with you on that one !! ...I tried to make the best of it with a matching spray paint color from Lowes (almond)...I bought the fuel tank from TC bros and spray painted it up that color. I even gold pinstriped it to match the frame too. It's a good enough match but far from professional. It has kind of a carefree I don't give a shit look to it that I think is pretty cool...lol

first pic is helpful, second is oops, I wasn't clear, need a shot inside the cover behind the shift lever.
But we've prolly established you have a Hughes CDI system, have you traced, confirmed it's wired like the diagram I posted above?
If that is outside of your abilities, yeah you will need someone who can do that. Have that diagram with you, when you go see them.
ok ... see what I can do.

.........I am going to try to figure out the wiring when I get home from work tomorrow.
Good. The wiring job is often left to the end and poorly done on homebuilts. Hugh pulls his hair out trying to help those who fail to learn and use proper wiring practices. Loose connections, wire nuts, sketchy routing, electric tape by the yard, the like, often found to be the issue.

If it were my bike ...........
I'd pull that bigger LH cover and check the wiring that lives behind it.
Even the stock harness can have issues in the area around the sprocket, shifter etc. there's 4 or 5 maintenance items that need checking back there anyways on any bike you want to be reliable.
clutch worm, push rod seal. Front sprocket for wear, sprocket nut properly installed and TIGHT. Chain stretch, wear, alignment of the front, rear sprockets.

First pic confirms it's a crank fired iggy. Now pull the small cover (2 screws... directly below the cover you pulled) on the bottom left of the engine so we can see what it is.
Second pic is the intake valve cover... nothing to do with electrical.

If there is a Hughs PMA and nothing under the small cover doesn’t that indicate that there is no ignition system installed?

Welllll...this is the wiring system on my bike. I'm looking at the wires and then looking at the diagram and trying to connect dots. For all I know the wiring looks fine...but is it ??? ... The only way for me to know for sure what is going on with the wiring is for me to install it myself. The only clue that I have to go on right now is - The previous owner stated that the bike worked well for awhile and then at some point could no longer get a spark. He wasn't sure why it had no spark.

Attachments

• 20211025_200147.jpg
    20211025_200147.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 20211025_200207.jpg
    20211025_200207.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211025_200217.jpg
    20211025_200217.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20211025_200230.jpg
    20211025_200230.jpg