My SX650 Scratch Bobber build

Here it is with fresh powder coat sans engine. Colors give it a vintage sort of look. Clip-ons have lost their appeal, they do not look right to me, looking to build custom mounts with the bars I had turned above, I need the 1" down to 7/8" bar config.

2cmi.jpg

0pmc.jpg

I wouldn't say its understated, That is a "Work of Art" you have created, but i understand the want and desire to make it the vision you have in your head. Either way you go if leave it, or if you change it, it will be a creation of something beautiful and envied by all who appreciate skillful craftsmanship.

I really like those clip-on's and want to do something like that in the future.

Can't wait to see it completed, Your Rocking It!!! :thumbsup:

BTW i tried to make my pic's big like you do and no matter how i put it they keep showing small :banghead:

Had to Quote LOL, I had to get those pic's up here again, They are Awesome!!!

Wow thanks!

Oh here is new handle bar idea mock up. I would weld a bar between the two to prevent twisting. Down side is I need to have forks lowered 1.25 inches which is no big deal, just more to do. Think I like this better.

Aluminum tubing was turned down for 7/8" grips and throttle and 1" controls then press fit with 20 ton press.

tl79.jpg

41gu.jpg

Man! Just when I'm thinking that I'm killin' it with my build, I come across this thread. Holy Smokes dude, you make me want to throw mine away haha! Varsity.

Looks just awesome - can't wait to see how this ends!

Hey thanks! Actually had truck issues, lost transfer case AND engine. Good ole American GMC. 10K in repairs took the money out of the engine rebuild sails. Also I am building a CNC mill to make this and that, so been spending time doing that. As of now the plan is to rebuild engine next January funds permitting.

Ok so life got in the way, I am back on it. Looking for a new motor and what not ready to go and drop in instead of rebuilding mine. Shame too cause I found all the original Japanese bearings and what not. Took a year and lot of money actually. Ahh well I'll save them in case I ever need to rebuild the new one i will buy.

Also going to change the bars, any suggestions on bar set up?

I really like your build, excellent skillset, and tools to match.

... any suggestions on bar set up?

How 'bout this one from the 'ol Weaver School of Shooting Stance. Brace the bike up in riding position, climb aboard, hold a pair of grips (with maybe a couple of inches of tubing extending from the inside), close your eyes (this is important), then assume the position, holding the grips where it feels right and natural. Have your son take a few pics so as to establish this position (top, sides, front). Then, let HIM do this, while you take pics.

Well, you get the idea. Then see what it would take to get that bar layout...

Hey thanks! First build ever with metal. I am going to fit a motor and electronics in this instead of rebuilding, found a running 79. So I am likely going to redo the front motor mount and make some new brackets for coil etc. Thus I will need to strip the frame and re-powder coat since I will be welding again on it. I think I am going to Black Cherry Perl frame and Candy Orange or Granny Smith sparkle or Pearl white for tank and fender.

Other ideas or pics shoot me a pm! I am using powder coat not paint btw. The powder coat will protect it until I get around to paining it. Powdercoat gives a chance to play with color scheme cheaply.

Last edited:
Chopped off front motor mount, I did not like it, I need to redo it. Of course the stock Xs front mount does not fit, I need to make one but I don't want to drill sideways through the down tubes. Not quite sure what I will do. Hmmm....

-Welded in the removable plate holder/tail light frame.
-Carbs on the way.
-Wiring will be getting done.
-Contemplating pipes, I want to make some but I really like the Gordon Scott Curved Drag pipes.

BobbedSled, this is really nice. I like seeing your doing some serious thoughts about the remodeling etc. Enjoy following this build process, and great start on the new year, I see your at it right away. :bike:

Got derailed with CNC and gun parts I am designing, start company do patents etc... Problem is I am moving coasts and am in a hurry to finish so I can title it here in AZ first. I bought a REALLY mint 77 motor with 10K miles on it. Got full electronics for it too. So CNC stuff and bike would have to wait.

But.... as luck would have it Joe Wiseguys just moved to Phoenix area from Washington. So I dropped it off as my house needs to be clean for showings (were selling) thus I can't work on it. Joe Wiseguys is going to get the motor all working spiffy, wire it up, and put the new front motor mounts on and any odds and ends and here and there. Then break it down again and I am re-powder coating it in glossier colors, then back together for titling. Should be running by early July.:thumbsup:

Very happy to have a him working on the motor and electronics and any fab stuff I need. When it gets running I'll have confidence as it will have a second set of eyes over it as well. Good for a news first time fabricator builder.

Dang timing of move and work prevents me from getting to the Chop-off.

Last edited:
That engine I found is so clean, pretty happy with that. Re sold first one. 10K miles on it. Waiting for oil bag/key set up to complete wiring and get it running.

Meantime Joe Wiseguys got the pipes made, nice and long for the custom frame. Takes up space to balance the jack shaft on the other side, and bear trap pedal to go with it.

Il7on7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I agonized over putting struts there too. I have round rods that are curved I got from Twisted Choppers. I was going to add curved struts but fender is 1/8" thick rear fender, with no strut you can still stand on it. Struts would just be decoration so I went with the clean look. It was the last fender in stock at Paul Yafee, he's local to me. They had to dig in storage and found 1 in the back, they said they had not built a chopper in like 8 years.

Few more pics of pipe work Joe wiseguy sent over.

nmJQL6.jpg

TDussx.jpg

iNNFdm.jpg

Back