My SX650 Scratch Bobber build

Hi all, Moved to 2 states, took a new job, Now I live in one state and work in another, ugh... I had bike in storage but I have some time now. I got custom painted tank and fender with chunky metal flake accents, stripping bike, will get all new metal flake powder coat on frame and tak, ceramic coat headers, add ape hangers and re-position the seat and got springer with custom rockers and aftermarket springer fork. Not sure if I will go with the springer the HD front end work well and is quite safe over bumps. Not sure about a springer.....

Horrible camera phone pictures but here is the tins. They are SHIIIINY, can't tell in the pics though.

When done with the wide tire and paint theme it should look like a contemporary yet retro OG bobber for lack of a better term. I went with a smaller rear sprocket due to the tire size. It runs quite fine and gets up and goes. Does not feel like it labors at all but it revs a bit higher than stock in case folks were wondering. Turning with wide tire is not great in general but it is designed as a bar hopper, local city street errand bike not a road trip bike. It is very very stable due to the 38 degree rake and 4.5" trail designed in. Tight parking lots is an issue with the wide tire and low foot pegs though. Ahhh, the price of looking bad azz.

Last edited:
Horrible camera phone pictures but here is the tins. They are SHIIIINY, can't tell in the pics though.

When done with the wide tire and paint theme it should look like a contemporary yet retro OG bobber for lack of a better term. I went with a smaller rear sprocket due to the tire size. It runs quite fine and gets up and goes. Does not feel like it labors at all but it revs a bit higher than stock in case folks were wondering. Turning with wide tire is not great in general but it is designed as a bar hopper, local city street errand bike not a road trip bike. It is very very stable due to the 38 degree rake and 4.5" trail designed in. Tight parking lots is an issue with the wide tire and low foot pegs though. Ahhh, the price of looking bad azz.

Hi Bob,
like the tank, just love the towel.

I wasn't a member of this site when you started this build, but I just finished reading the entire thread. I was a certified welder and fabricator when I was much younger, and I just have to say how much I admire your metal working skills, really top notch. And the fact that you created the entire frame from scratch, very impressive.
I look forward to seeing how this ends.

Geez thanks mailman and maxpete. That's great to hear and it is appreciated. I have no experience so I can't tell if it's good or bad really. I am constantly critical of my work and not happy with this or that. Frankly the hard part though was getting out of my head what I saw in my mind, after 2 complete frames (first was too long but it probably would have been better is some ways, just long and low) it is what was is in my head except I am still not happy with the seat placement, We moved and I lost my Miller 211 plug adapter so I am waiting for a new one. Then I'll cut off all the seat brackets and reposition the seat back and higher. Then it is off to powder coater swap forks and tire and add ape hangers and he new cables made. Hopefully when does it will look new and at last, it will look like what the design was in my minds eye.

The rest is just patience and lots and lots of trial and error. What people done see is all them is bends and mistakes, I probable bent enough metal for 4 frames learning as I go. The best part of it is the learning and acquiring skills.

I definitely say to others definitLy try it, it is not "hard" just work slow and think it through and know you will make mistakes. That is what I found I loved about working with metal. There is nothing you can't j doe or redo. It's really quite fun Working with metal and the lessons learned last a life time.

Best part is I got with a custom bike builder in AZ and got them to title and vin the bike as a custom model by them so it is totally legal with a title. It was a small cost of course.

Of course i did not do the paint. That's a whole set of slills few have. I was going to do rat rod thing but switched to painted, so when done hopefully it will just look awesome what ever it is. All I know is it was in my head a few years ago. Life got in the way 3 times, often in very very bad ways Along the road. So now I am I a position to finish although the bike is in my Florida house and I live and work in DE so there will be breaks while I travel back and forth. The wiring harness came from daddygcycles here on the forum btw. Figure 3 weeks of work over 2 months to complete it.

Last edited:
Now you mentioned you've lost your Miller 211 adapter....can I ask what model welder you have?

Pete

Yep. Actually i found my large 220 3 prong adapter but lost my 110. The house had 220 but with some weird receptacle. So while waiting for my 100 adapter in the mail I just rewired the 220 receptacle for the standard 3 prong dryer type plug and I'm good to go.

The welder ia a Miller 211. I'd sell eveytool before that unit. There it is in my home made rack. Runs 110 OR 220 with auto sensing power supply, the call it MVP.

Last edited:
Cool - I'm on the lookout for a welder so it good to know what to search for.

Thank!

Pete

great build. I have a few questions.
1. what rim width did you use on the back
2. where did you get your jackshaft
thank you in advance and keep up the good work

Sure, the rear wheel is harley 18x8.5 60 Spoke with 240 tire. Just go up 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket. Rebel sprockets made my sprocket. The jackshaft parts come from G&G manufacturing. Just get a steel tube length and have machine shop lathe in the bearing recesses.
I believe Marvin at joe wiseguy choppers has jackshafts already done as well.

If you go with a long frame, I think the bike needs a larger back tire. The bike is long like a drag bike, it works great and is super stable but i built it for drag bars. I am now switching to apes and springer for a gangster look so well see how it looks like that.... I Dunno fingers crossed... Will be getting 21" front too.

At least I can now swap bars cables front wheel and forks to mix and match looks. I definitely like the gloss poedercoat better. Should be done in 45 days or so due to travel. Hopefully I can get to the bike build off for a fun event.

Ohh and I set the engine a little too straight, wish it was tilted forward a bit more.

Last edited:
Ohh in case folks wonder, I used a Wilwood rear caliper and mount from TwistedChoppers. Just had spacers machined for my needs. Can get them made by guys off ebay and what not easily.

wilwood-caliper-mount.jpg

Back