My Tube Bender - Fully Hydraulic - Pro Tools 105 HD

Graham, You can make a ton of stuff... hardtails, full frames, exhausts, handle bars... For cars you can make roll cages, brush guards and things like that. I kind of want to build a mini buggy but have nowhere to really drive it and money is always a factor.

Travis I built one of those about 10 years ago. That one is a edge buggies piranha,I built the
Sidewinder powered by a klr650. Then I built Rorty R6 gsxr 1000 powered.

Tadd, So generous! But seriously, if you want to use it, come on over. If you need to bend 7/8" we'll have to make a sleeve for my 1-1/8" die and give that a try. Unless you want to buy me a 7/8" die as payment for using the machine :D That'll cost a lot more than a dollar though. :)

How about halfsies & you keep it?.....What do they run?....If I mock up a set of bars via cutting & tack welding, would you be able to reproduce it?

Travis I built one of those about 10 years ago. That one is a edge buggies piranha,I built the
Sidewinder powered by a klr650. Then I built Rorty R6 gsxr 1000 powered.

Actually it's a newer design called the Barracuda. http://www.edge.au.com/The_Barracuda I think it would be cool to have one with a torquey 1000cc engine in it like one from a Suzuki SV1000.

How about halfsies & you keep it?.....What do they run?....If I mock up a set of bars via cutting & tack welding, would you be able to reproduce it?

Dies run from $140 to $375 depending on the size. Most of the ones I have were about $200. The 7/8" die retails for $185 plus shipping but can be had for less. I may have a line on a used one. If I get the die and you mock something up, bring it over and we'll see what we can do.

Nice work! I have one of those Pro 105's too and also plan to go hydraulic. A bud on another board did it but his is vertical, that's probably how I will do mine.

Dies run from $140 to $375 depending on the size. Most of the ones I have were about $200. The 7/8" die retails for $185 plus shipping but can be had for less. I may have a line on a used one. If I get the die and you mock something up, bring it over and we'll see what we can do.

Lemme know what you find!

1974jh5, I thought about going vertical but decided against it for some reason. I think it was becuase of dealing bolts (or pins with retaining clips) rather than just dropping a pin in a hole. Also supporting the cylinder would be more difficult with my design if it were vertical. Most people design their vertical benders like the ones on http://probender.com/ but those all have the same problem with the angle of the cylinder where the most force is required at the start of the bend. Maybe in practice that is not really a problem. I do like the idea of checking the angle of the bend with a digital level rather than using the degree wheel. Do you have a link to your buddy's build?

Tadd, will do.

Hey Travis what site was that you mentioned about that has dies for the model 3 cheap? Seems like it was somewhere in Canada?

swbill,

You must be thinking of TMR Customs. I'm not sure if they have model 3 dies though. I've bought a couple of Pro-Tools dies from them and they had the best prices at the time. If you're a member of Pirate 4x4 you might a discount from TMR.

Yea that's it. I was thinking the pro tools dies fit the model 3. Really thinking of having a try at turning my own dies on the lathe.

1974jh5, I thought about going vertical but decided against it for some reason. I think it was becuase of dealing bolts (or pins with retaining clips) rather than just dropping a pin in a hole. Also supporting the cylinder would be more difficult with my design if it were vertical. Most people design their vertical benders like the ones on http://probender.com/ but those all have the same problem with the angle of the cylinder where the most force is required at the start of the bend. Maybe in practice that is not really a problem. I do like the idea of checking the angle of the bend with a digital level rather than using the degree wheel. Do you have a link to your buddy's build?

Tadd, will do.

Sorry, I didn't see this till now (12/10). He started with a JD2 but that's almost a carbon copy of the Pro Tools 105. I like how he did the cylinder mounting and here is a video link showing it working.

His build thread: http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=29350&highlight=bender

Some guys don't spend that much on their bike build. That is a very well done build of a piece of equipment that you will use for the rest of your days. With your talent, that thing will pay itself off in no time! Wanna make me some pipes? :)

Travis, I have a HUGE favor to ask of you. I bought on old Hossfeld No.1 bender. The Hossfeld dies are pricey.

I have been looking at the Pro-tools dies.

Any chance you can tell me the pin diameter and the distance between the swinging arm where the dies sit? I'm tryng to see if I can space my bender to fit these dies, but these companies don't post those specs...:)

Thanks!

http://tubetek.net/ Learned about these people the other day. The design etc is very similar to the JD2 or ProTools. I have no affiliation with these folks, according to one poster on another site the lead times for kits can be sorta long and there have been customer service problems.

I need a set of 1 5/8" and possibly 1 1/4" dies for my ProTools, I might see if the ones these people sell are interchangeable because they are a lot cheaper.

http://tubetek.net/ Learned about these people the other day. The design etc is very similar to the JD2 or ProTools. I have no affiliation with these folks, according to one poster on another site the lead times for kits can be sorta long and there have been customer service problems.

I need a set of 1 5/8" and possibly 1 1/4" dies for my ProTools, I might see if the ones these people sell are interchangeable because they are a lot cheaper.

Reading about his stuff says he takes a while to ship. I sent him some questions we will see how long it takes to respond.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003451

Beau, yeah I can do that. I'll PM you about it.

Those Tube Tek benders look like a 100% copy of the Pro-Tools 105HD so I imagine that the dies would be the same.

Thanks Travis!

I got an email from Hossfeld today. Took a week with the Holiday. I'm picking up a degree wheel, 1"-4" clr die, and a 1 1/8"-4" clr die for a bit over $600. One week turn around.

The problem is Hossfeld only makes up to 1 1/8" dies. I want to find an 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" Pro Tools die to see if I can make it work with some spacing.

I'm gonna look for some higher quality dumb bell weights and have my machinst do some magic. It looks like it might work for making cheap dies.

Thanks again. You have a beautiful set-up.

I picked up a Pro Tools 105 tube bender with three dies sets. 1" with a 3" radius 240* bend, 1 3/4" (roll cage size) with a 6" radius 120* bend and 1 5/8" with a 6" radius 120* bend. It also has the base, degree wheel and stop, but it missing the bender arm. I picked it up for $785. I'm pretty excited!

The Hossfeld will be used for flat iron and bar instead.

Last edited:
Back