My Tube Bender - Fully Hydraulic - Pro Tools 105 HD

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I would post pictures of my bender..

I built this last year. I spent a lot of time doing the math and researching hydraulic systems and benders to make sure everything I used would work well together and give me the speed and power I wanted. It's probably overkill for what I need but I enjoyed building it and doing the research. It's a different design than any of the other hyrdo benders I've seen in that the the cylinder starts at 90 degrees to the bender swing arm and pivots as is extends. This gives maximum power right from the start the of bend and not half way through it. Another unique thing is that it uses all SAE O-ring and JIC fittings for the hydraulics. This made finding the control valve, pressure gauge, in-tank filter, and tank bungs a little more difficult, but now I don't have to worry about leaks.

This thing is a beast. When bending 1-1/8" .120" wall tube it shows just a couple hundred PSI in the cylinder. If I did my math correctly this should have no problem bending 2" .135" wall chromoly. It will bend to over 100 degrees in one stroke in about 10 seconds.

Sorry the video sucks. This was filmed on my old crappy camera before I got my GoPro HD Hero.

Some pic's of the build process:

Parts drawn in CAD and laser cut
bender001.jpg

Laying out the base for the frame. Wish I had my welding table at the time.
bender002.jpg

bender003.jpg

Starting to look like something
bender004.jpg

bender005.jpg

Welding up the hydraulic oil tank.
bender006.jpg

Tray
bender007.jpg

Water testing the tank
bender008.jpg

95% complete, usable, and about how it looks now.
bender009.jpg

Piston rod extended
bender010.jpg

bender011.jpg

bender012.jpg

bender013.jpg

^ Yep I really wanted it to be fully hyrdo and wanted it to be mobile.

visimpact and walterpunk, Thanks!

Some nice designs here!! What is the main purpose of bending tubes like this?
Making hard tail kits.. Any other uses?

Graham, You can make a ton of stuff... hardtails, full frames, exhausts, handle bars... For cars you can make roll cages, brush guards and things like that. I kind of want to build a mini buggy but have nowhere to really drive it and money is always a factor.

Attachments

• CudaJumpemail.jpg
    CudaJumpemail.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 436
Graham, You can make a ton of stuff... hardtails, full frames, exhausts, handle bars... For cars you can make roll cages, brush guards and things like that. I kind of want to build a mini buggy but have nowhere to really drive it and money is always a factor.

That mini buggy is super cool, I want one! You've just inspired me to build my own tubing bender :laugh:

Very impressive bender indeed!

Nicely done, that's a beauty. I have the 105 bender, but manual. It's not hard, but its pretty slow if I'm making a pile of parts. I'm envious. :)

John

Thanks guys for the compliments!

hotrdd, I kept all the receipts and with every nut and bolt I have about $2,500 into it in parts. Plus countless hours of research, design, shopping, and the actual build. If you count the notcher and the 4 dies, that number ends up at about $3,800. I could have saved a little bit of money by using cheaper hydraulic fittings and not buying all the components with SAE o-ring ports. That might have saved me a few hundred dollars.

Here's a rough breakdown:
Bender - 300
Degree ring - 150
Steel and laser cutting - 700
Hydraulic Cylinder - 160
Control valve - 160
Pump - 135
Motor - 155
In-tank filter - 85
Hydraulic lines and fittings - 350
Pressure gauges - 50
Castors - 30
Tank Bungs -10
Temp and level gauge - 20
Filler neck/breather -15
Lovejoy couplings - 40
Industrial start/stop switch and housing - 60
Swivel Leveling Feet - 40
Plus misc nuts and bolts and wiring and things like that.

I'd like to put a couple of finishing touches on it like adding places to hang/store dies and then get the whole thing painted or powder coated = more $$$

All that little stuff adds up!

Thanks guys for the compliments!

hotrdd, I kept all the receipts and with every nut and bolt I have about $2,500 into it in parts. Plus countless hours of research, design, shopping, and the actual build. If you count the notcher and the 4 dies, that number ends up at about $3,800. I could have saved a little bit of money by using cheaper hydraulic fittings and not buying all the components with SAE o-ring ports. That might have saved me a few hundred dollars.

Here's a rough breakdown:
Bender - 300
Degree ring - 150
Steel and laser cutting - 700
Hydraulic Cylinder - 160
Control valve - 160
Pump - 135
Motor - 155
In-tank filter - 85
Hydraulic lines and fittings - 350
Pressure gauges - 50
Castors - 30
Tank Bungs -10
Temp and level gauge - 20
Filler neck/breather -15
Lovejoy couplings - 40
Industrial start/stop switch and housing - 60
Swivel Leveling Feet - 40
Plus misc nuts and bolts and wiring and things like that.

I'd like to put a couple of finishing touches on it like adding places to hang/store dies and then get the whole thing painted or powder coated = more $$$

All that little stuff adds up!

I'll give you a chance to make some money back......I am willing to offer $1 if you bend some sweet bars for me.

Tadd, So generous! But seriously, if you want to use it, come on over. If you need to bend 7/8" we'll have to make a sleeve for my 1-1/8" die and give that a try. Unless you want to buy me a 7/8" die as payment for using the machine :D That'll cost a lot more than a dollar though. :)

Back