My XS experiences

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi There My name is Larry Beach (aka Orion61)... probably the only "Son of a Beach" you will hear from today.
I just ran across this site when looking for "shorty" mufflers for my '75 stock 650.
I cut my teeth with Yamaha in the 70's with my first bike a 100 Twin, Blue and White.
Man I put a lot of miles on that thing! It would blow a Kawasaki 100 away off the line but not in the top end.
This sold me on Low end Torque and drive ability.
BTW I was WAAAY too young to drive it, Legally but I lived on a Farm so I had a Million open miles of dirt road.
Since I learned to ride on Gravel, pavement driving was a snap. Even today 4" of fresh gravel doesn't even phase me, just go with it and don't fight it too much!:eek:
I bought my First 650 a 73' when I saw it sitting on the side of the road for sale.
I have always been a Horse Trader so a Mossberg Shotgun out of my collection and I owned it.
MAN I fell in love with it.
It had been rode hard and put up wet, it only had 12k on it but I don't think the oil had ever been changed, or it ever saw an indoor Winter!
The filter was plugged up and a hole had worn into it. I rode it for 2 years. Holy Cow I loved that Sapphire Sparkle Blue!
BTW I have found a very close match in a Powder coat for it if you need it, PM Me.
Driving down the road one day, I was cruising along when the motor lugged, 3 seconds later before I knew it the rear wheel was locked..
Seems the previous owner tightened the cam chain tension WAAAY down and it ground off the tension head and froze up the cam... I bought a Honda CB 550, that HIDEOUS burned Orange.. even worse it had a matching fairing... I couldn't wait to get rid of it! It was smooth but a Dog for Torque
I wanted another 650. I traded it for another 73' this one was MINT! I put on 4" over forks on it, it had 6" over and I could hardly touch the ground (tippy toes)and I am 6'1" tall.
I found a Chrome German Cross Sissy Bar and Chrome Spike pegs for the front.
Rode it to the New Mall to see a Movie, came out and it was GONE! never to be seen again.. I still miss that bike, lots of custom Chrome!
The next used oil but was all I could afford, still rode it to over 40k miles..
after that there was a Yellow beauty that had no low end torque, never did figure that out.
There were a few more here and there owning a couple at a time.
I even overhauled a TX750, If you know how to tune them and keep the counter Balance chain the correct tension they are a really nice hifhway bike.
I found my current Bike when I wasn't looking for one. I stopped by Viking Sports looking for a part and I saw it, a trade in a couple days earlier from the Orig. owner a Dr
that babied it, never parked it outside. One issue, a flasher dimple in the gas tank.
That is how I got it, he bought a used CB350 he could handle :bike:putter, putter...
That was 30 years ago.. I got hurt at work and she has been sitting for a few years,
"clean stored" This year she will see the road again!
The Girlfriend made a comment about parking it outside, because it was taking too much room in the garage.. I told her I'd move it, but I'd be selling the Queen size bed, replacing it with a single and My 650 would have HER side of the bedroom:yikes:
I've had the XS for 30 her for 5..
The Bike is still in the Garage. Funny she backed right down....:D
I have posted a few times here and want to thank you for your help in tracking a few things down.
Larry

Back