My Xs hard tail style build

Russdog

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys
I actually finished this build a year ago. Not much but I’m proud of it and without this website would have never been able to get this far.

Tc Bros hard tail and forward controls
Wise guy intake
Kick start with Hugh’s PMA
Pandemonium exhaust
21 inch front 18 in rear

Cheers

Attachments

• 3DC81F13-4AEE-4946-AA3C-09C52FE1C5CC.jpeg
    3DC81F13-4AEE-4946-AA3C-09C52FE1C5CC.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 356
  • 2719A860-D314-4C31-B646-5439BCEF4B26.jpeg
    2719A860-D314-4C31-B646-5439BCEF4B26.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 347
hey guys
Not much but I’m proud of it and without this website would have never been able to get this far.

Whats this "Not much" business? Theres a whole lot of you in there. Planning, wrenching and maybe a busted knuckle or 2. Ride the wheels off her. Chest chuffing OK.....

Hell, I'm nobody's critic but I think it looks great. Awesome work.
I'd love to see a closeup of where and how your side stand is attached and where it sits when it's up.
I have almost the same setup, but just a straight stand. The forward controls create a little bit of a challenge.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Just saying it was “not much” compared to all these killer builds here. And I had to back down a lot from my big idea plans due to limited ability and resources but it did turn out pretty neat looking.

As far as the side stand goes I just left the stock on there. Not ideal and it leans a bit more than I want, but it gets the job done and blends in.

I’m gonna start on another build soon just because I had a lot of fun doing this one. But this time I want some rear suspension as cool as a hard tail looks it’s not for me haha

You know I found the same result, love my bike, but find the roads around where I live way too rough for hardtail. I still take it out, but also started another bike, and can't bring myself to thin out the herd.

Attachments

• mexico los cobos 117.jpg
    mexico los cobos 117.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 285
As far as the side stand goes I just left the stock on there. Not ideal and it leans a bit more than I want, but it gets the job done and blends in.
I’m gonna start on another build soon just because I had a lot of fun doing this one.
But this time I want some rear suspension as cool as a hard tail looks it’s not for me haha

Hi Russdog,
try a cut'n'weld heavy wall tube extender in the middle of your sidestand to lengthen it so the bike leans less ?
Getting the hardtail look with rear suspension ain't for the faint hearted.
From my own experience of riding them back in the day:-
Triumph Sprung Hub? Although the ride has some softness the handling was hazardously awful.
Note that Sprung Hubs are very rare and expensive antiques these days
Plungers? Undamped springs, limited motion, varying chain tension and susceptible to windowjamming.
Ariel Ansty Link? Undamped springs, limited motion, link action gives constant chain tension and eliminates windowjamming.
Note that Ariel frames are just as rare and expensive as Triumph Sprung Hubs and that although a skilled machinist could
make an Ansty Link system the system may well be still patented.
Vincent pattern sprung frame? They handled well and unlike the others would be a reasonably doable XS650 frame modification.
What you might try on your existing hardtail is some kinda long movement suspension on the seat so that it moves up and down
rather than pivoting at the front with limited spring movement at the back.

Killer bike man! I like the rear fender set up. That color looks “plum crazy”. I love it!!!

Back