Mystery frame bracket on Heritage frame

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've just aquired a new (to me) "basket case" project which was once a Heritage Special 5V4, an American market bike that's been shipped to the UK.
I've already got a 1980 special (complete and running) which I can use as a reference point for the rebuild, but I've found a few extra small brackets on the Heritage frame, and one big solid one welded to the LH cradle tube.
It sort of faces inwards towards the RH cradle tube, and it definately isn't there on my 1980 spec frame.
Can anyone please tell me what this is for ?
I've checked my parts books, but they only run to 1981, so no sign of any such bracket or fittings.

Attachments

• 20220205_192226.jpg
    20220205_192226.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 94
Pretty sure that's the bracket for the sidestand switch. The switch fed relays that killed the engine if you put the tranny in gear with the sidestand down.

Yes, that's for the sidestand switch, which you should eliminate anyway. Eventually, I'm going to cut the front portion of that bracket off my '83. The rear portion incorporates a nice sidestand bumper, so that's staying .....

tWYIRuM.jpg

mgvF229.jpg

The spring post bracket is also larger and more complex, and it blocks easy access to the oil pan. The late style sidestand also has extra stuff welded to it to work with the switch .....

t1H4Ppx.jpg

I switched to the simpler, older style spring post and stand. This restores easy oil pan access .....

6h3Gsb5.jpg

All the "junk" to the left of the spring was replaced with the couple older simple parts to the right of it .....

04ypiqc.jpg

Thankyou both.
AFAIK the safety switch isn't mandatory in the UK, so I'll be taking my angle grinder to the bracket sometime soon.
Looking through the pile of bits I've got, I seem to have an earlier Special type propstand (the type on the right), so that's what I'll be fitting

Back