Need help identifying a wheel

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, I got this wheel from a friend. He owed me some money so he just gave me a bunch of xs650 parts instead. I'd like to sell it but I don't know what it's from. He bought it on ebay and it was sold as rear XS650 wheel. It has a tag on it that says it's for a 79 xs650, but the rim size is 2.50x17 so it can't be right can it? Also the rear sprocket has 33 teeth. The rim itself says "D.I.D. Japan 2.50X17 16 90 --29 0915". I tried searching google and ebay to see if might have come from an XS 750, 850, 1100, 400 and don't think it came from any of those. Can anyone help?

wheel01.jpg

wheel02.jpg

wheel03.jpg

wheel04.jpg

It didn't come from an xs750 triple, 850, or 1100, those are shaft drives. The 4 hole pattern in the sprocket points to an XS400 or maybe even a Honda product.

Good thinking about the shafties. I even had an XS1100 for a while so I should have known. I think since it was labeled XS I thought I should try searching those first. When looking up the XS400’s it seem like all the rear wheels are 16”. So Maybe a Honda wheel you say…

The chain guide on the sprocket is a huge clue to the wheels origin.....i've been searching google images and have found some similar wheel's but not with that guide...i will look some more later... :D

Wow thanks for the help guys. I too have been searching Google for images and focusing on the chain guide. I've seen some Honda wheels with the exact same markings on the rim like crash said but nothing with that sprocket and guard combo. I'm pretty sure it's a Honda wheel though. I think all the XS400 wheels are 16 inch not 17. I could just sell it as is and give the axle size and width of the hub between the outsides of the bearings.

Naw I don't know. I don’t think it's been relaced judging by the spokes.. But who knows, maybe it was done 20 years ago. The four bolt sprocket makes me thing honda too..

I found a wheel on eBay advertised at a rear 76 Honda CB500T wheel. Both sides of the hub look exactly like one I have so I'm sure it's a Honda wheel. Only problem is all the CB500's had 18 inch wheels. The CB550's hubs are different. Getting closer..

Back