Need help with 34mm for seal instal

Johnnny13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two biles with the 35mm forks and have both home made tools that Hugh describes in this post http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-rebuild-xs650-forks-install-lowering-kit.5537/. I was helping a buddy with his 34mm and obviously came to the conclusion that these tools won't work. I then stumbled onto post 8 in this thread http://www.xs650.com/threads/1975-xs650-fork-rebuild-puzzle.13093/ and noticed the poster wrote he had to make one out of a 6 sided 12mm. I attempted to make one but it still wouldn't grab to top of the dampener. Do I just need to shave more from the socket or is there a tool anyone has for sale that will fit? Spent way too much time messing with this to only drain the old fork fluid. I'm currently working out of storage locker so I don't have a vice that would make cutting a socket much easier.

The socket has to be cut like in the photo below, And you have to have a long enough extension to reach in there.
Basically all that socket has to do is stop the damper assembly from spinning while you remove the Allen head bolt at the bottom of the leg.
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1972-xs2-forks-assembly-and-swingarm-details.3129/

78174030-98DC-4EE6-9F1B-5FDFF811F10F.jpeg
8E51CEE4-E8EF-4E5B-A2D7-A184E4E4B31C.jpeg
1BC6375A-59AF-41C3-9D51-B88CE40E13F1.jpeg
9C20FF5E-A697-48F8-9F14-E453B4C5A800.jpeg

The socket has to be cut like in the photo below, And you have to have a long enough extension to reach in there.
Basically all that socket has to do is stop the damper assembly from spinning while you remove the Allen head bolt at the bottom of the leg.
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1972-xs2-forks-assembly-and-swingarm-details.3129/

View attachment 163555 View attachment 163556 View attachment 163557 View attachment 163558
I'll get after it again tomorrow. Right now the issues is cutting a 10mm socket to fit the flats on the top of the damper rod.

I'll get after it again tomorrow. Right now the issues is cutting a 10mm socket to fit the flats on the top of the damper rod.

Here’s mine, it’s nothing pretty, just quick and dirty with a hack saw. This one is actually a little sloppy fit. A 12 mm socket is what you want. 10mm is too small. I cut up that 13mm just because it was a cheap spare socket that I had on hand. Good luck!
45D5BC6E-67DB-4968-B3E0-2EB8F8A2ACFC.jpeg

Here’s mine, it’s nothing pretty, just quick and dirty with a hack saw. This one is actually a little sloppy fit. A 12 mm socket is what you want. 10mm is too small. I cut up that 13mm just because it was a cheap spare socket that I had on hand. Good luck!
View attachment 163559

Made one from a 12mm deep well and it’s still not catching the dampener head.
67BBE028-6E96-4DD7-A1AB-A207CF98865E.jpeg

401CB831-8570-4DC2-87FB-1408472AD418.jpeg

This is the best photo I have to show what it is that you’re trying to hold, on the far right end, it’s that part with the flat sides. The socket just goes down on either side of those flats to hold it from spinning.

E50A19C8-4EC1-42C4-9BC3-667133D0D883.jpeg

Are you using a long enough extension to reach the damper assembly?

I have a long extension so reaching it isn’t a issue. I feel like what I made should work. I’ll try again tomorrow. I’m just filing it down by hand so it’s not something I’m going to do all day. I really appreciate all of the help.

Well, I’m about to start trekking for work. At this point I might give it another shot but to be honest I’d rather borrow or purchase one from a member here if they are willing.

Maybe you guys can give him the slot measurement so he knows what size to file his tool to?

Forget the special tool. A $.99 allen wrench cut to make a long allen socket drive is all that is needed. Those forks disassemble just like any other forks. Boogie on that allen with an impact tool until the bolt comes out. NO SPECIAL TOOL NEEDED.

Forget the special tool. A $.99 allen wrench cut to make a long allen socket drive is all that is needed. Those forks disassemble just like any other forks. Boogie on that allen with an impact tool until the bolt comes out. NO SPECIAL TOOL NEEDED.
I appreciate the advice but I don't have a compressor, I'm working out of a storage locker, and don't have any power. I also need to reassemble them so the tool would be needed.

find a buddy with a battery impact wrench they be the schizzle!
spring in cap on til the allen backs out, USUALLY works. Some of those allens have a LOT of BLUE locktight

Tried to get the bottom bolt out with a air impact and it still didn’t work. Even modified the cut up socket and it still didn’t work. At this point I’m looking to buy a socket that’s known to work if anyone is willing?

Last edited:
Back