Need to rejet.. looking for size advice

Lluber

Noob
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looks like Im going to have to rejet my carbs.

83' Heritage special, Had a local shop sonic clean the carbs and rejet (I think they went up one size on the mains) they also pulled my airbox and put on pods for me.

I cut down my headers and am now running the emgo shorty mufflers (which make this bike sound like a damn beast BTW) It looks like im running a little rich.. plugs are coming out carbon fouled. I took the torch to them last night and burnt away the carbon and the bike fired right up..

So, im looking for any info on If I need to go up another size on the main's, or If I can tweek my current setup to work and not foul through plugs.

thanks guys

If they are black and sooty you may be rich enough.
Which pods did you say? Pics help.

I'm not sure what Milkes is selling now.
In selection of replacement pods LOOK at the rubber/plastic mounting.
Is there a lip on the inside that will cover the air inlet on the top on the bell.
If so you will have problems.

You think the shop went up one size on your mains??? Well ..... you have to know. Take one of your carbs apart and record all the jet sizes you find in there. Then you can start on the path to a proper carb tune. Your BS34s usually require one size larger pilot and 1 to 3 sizes larger mains for mods like yours. Make sure you use the correct pilot style as well, the BS30/96 type. The more common VM22/210 type will fit in your carb but won't flow correctly. And last but not least, insure your floats are properly set. The BS34s are very particular about their float settings.

so everything was fine after I re jetted post air box swap or at least I didnt have any issues and put about 120miles on the bike with no issues.. The spark plug fouling started after I swapped my stock mufflers for the emgo shortys. which makes me think that the mufflers are causing the problem, but im not 100% sure..

so everything was fine after I re jetted post air box swap or at least I didnt have any issues and put about 120miles on the bike with no issues.. The spark plug fouling started after I swapped my stock mufflers for the emgo shortys. which makes me think that the mufflers are causing the problem, but im not 100% sure..

if you put your stock mufflers back on and the problem goes away you will have found your answer :doh:

ohh if only it were so easy.. because of course I cut my headers and mounted the mufflers to the stock, chopped headers.

Want advice? Here ya go. 1. Underlength pipes will be tuned to a power peak that's out well past the red line. You've done a "cool" alteration that has impaired the performance of your motor. If I were you I'd find some new or good used pipes of decent length. 2. Vacuum carbs work best with a still air box. You might want to put it back on. 3. In future, you might want to ask questions before you start cutting things up.

Back