Need visual reference to repair 1981 seat latch.

Esteguy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in need of photos or videos of what the seat latching mechanisms look like where they attach to the frame on a 1981 xs650. I also need pictures of the rear turn signal light mounts/brackets. I included a photo for reference as to the year and seat style.

I bought an '81 XS650 last year that had been absolutely butchered by someone trying to make a café racer out of it. The back of the frame was just sawzalled off unevenly. I've got the frame repaired and I'm trying to fabricate the mounting bracket/system that was originally there for the seat. I have the latch, but I can't find images anywhere online as far as what it actually looks like under the seat. My friend is interested in the bike and this is pretty much the last thing I need to finish so that its road worthy. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Last edited:
IMG_3033.jpg

Definitely is, thanks! Does anyone have a picture of where the seat mounts on the left, non-latch side? Is it just some plate with a rectangular cutout for the hook?
You may PM me. I have an '83 and I can get pictures, measurements, etc. I will be later in the day, but the bike is where I can readily get to it.

Ok, sorry for the late reply. I wanted to have the bike in front of me, and I finally have it back in my garage.

So, here are some pictures of where I’m at in the process.

621A5C8C-1E2D-4A37-9F38-136591C4DE98.jpeg
4689756D-E008-4870-B291-4A122D814750.jpeg
BB326FB6-515D-428C-92B5-7FF64E691A8A.jpeg
F96C46EA-973D-4C9D-90F2-A290CF9C457B.jpeg

It’s a junk frame. An idiot with a sawsall got it.

I genuinely appreciate the offer, but I’m pretty much committed to the loop I’ve welded up now. And to be honest, I kind of like this type of fabricating work. I just wanted some reference pictures or measurements so I can get it as reasonably close to stock as possible.

So here’s where I’m at now. Seat mounts and latch are good to go. It latches in perfectly and fits snug, not for a lack of time and effort.
9D8722D4-4035-46D2-812F-5C0C9AEFFA1F.jpeg
54BB83E6-F3B3-4C66-8EF9-9DE94412880C.jpeg

Last edited:
So now I need to get the turn signals and fender mounted. Finally found a picture on eBay of what the bracket looks like. But I can’t for the life of me figure out how the turn signal actually mounts.

Based on the amount of grommets, I feel like it doesn’t make sense. It seems like the teardrop shaped bushing on the left is the only one needed. It has a channel in the middle where it fits on the bracket. So what is the one on the right for? What am I missing?

C7F910B4-48D4-4B4E-8EF7-7EDE43DB28FF.jpeg

That round grommet is for the headlight bucket................... That indicator with the 2 sets of grommets is set up for the front...........has the oval one in the headlight bracket and the round one in the headlight bucket

That round grommet is for the headlight bucket................... That indicator with the 2 sets of grommets is set up for the front...........has the oval one in the headlight bracket and the round one in the headlight bucket
Oh, so for the rear I only need the oval? I bought these labeled as rear… I suppose the stud going to be too long then.

I apologize for the late response. The rear indicator has a shorter threaded portion than the front. I hope the pictures help. I can’t take it apart right now. My ‘81 bike is in Atlanta, but I’m fairly certain it’s identical to the ‘83.

Back