Neutral indicator light

memphisscott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m working on rewiring my 1982 XS650. Unfortunately, I’m terrible at reading schematics, but I think I have a handle on most of it (Thanks YouTube!). I haven’t found any videos about the neutral indicator light on the dash. I’m just trying to figure the path of current. I think the neutral switch that goes in the engine case is the ground (when in neutral) making the wiring path - fuse>indicator light> neutral switch. Does this sound right, or am I completely off base?

I’m working on rewiring my 1982 XS650. Unfortunately, I’m terrible at reading schematics, but I think I have a handle on most of it (Thanks YouTube!). I haven’t found any videos about the neutral indicator light on the dash. I’m just trying to figure the path of current. I think the neutral switch that goes in the engine case is the ground (when in neutral) making the wiring path - fuse>indicator light> neutral switch. Does this sound right, or am I completely off base?
You got it. Power to light and ground through the neutral switch.
...and welcome to the forum.

Just curious, does anyone else have a two stage neutral light because I do.
It acts as an ignition light coming on when the ignition is on, dims when in gear and brightens when the box is actually in neutral, I haven't chased the wire or tested the switch as there is no fire and it is quite useful sometimes.

Just curious, does anyone else have a two stage neutral light because I do.
It acts as an ignition light coming on when the ignition is on, dims when in gear and brightens when the box is actually in neutral, I haven't chased the wire or tested the switch as there is no fire and it is quite useful sometimes.
Ha!....I love a good electrical oddity/mystery.....holler if you decide to pursue it (might involve a light blue wire or a connector block:umm:):geek:

You may be right, but I don't leave the ignition on for days on this one..If I think of a way to wire it safely so it does what it does deliberately I will do it; maybe a high resistance off the sky blue. You can see our manuals are more poetic than yours, light blue indeed !

Back