Neutral indicator light

memphisscott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m working on rewiring my 1982 XS650. Unfortunately, I’m terrible at reading schematics, but I think I have a handle on most of it (Thanks YouTube!). I haven’t found any videos about the neutral indicator light on the dash. I’m just trying to figure the path of current. I think the neutral switch that goes in the engine case is the ground (when in neutral) making the wiring path - fuse>indicator light> neutral switch. Does this sound right, or am I completely off base?

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’m working on rewiring my 1982 XS650. Unfortunately, I’m terrible at reading schematics, but I think I have a handle on most of it (Thanks YouTube!). I haven’t found any videos about the neutral indicator light on the dash. I’m just trying to figure the path of current. I think the neutral switch that goes in the engine case is the ground (when in neutral) making the wiring path - fuse>indicator light> neutral switch. Does this sound right, or am I completely off base?
You got it. Power to light and ground through the neutral switch.
...and welcome to the forum.

badlegbill

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone else have a two stage neutral light because I do.
It acts as an ignition light coming on when the ignition is on, dims when in gear and brightens when the box is actually in neutral, I haven't chased the wire or tested the switch as there is no fire and it is quite useful sometimes.

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone else have a two stage neutral light because I do.
It acts as an ignition light coming on when the ignition is on, dims when in gear and brightens when the box is actually in neutral, I haven't chased the wire or tested the switch as there is no fire and it is quite useful sometimes.
Ha!....I love a good electrical oddity/mystery.....holler if you decide to pursue it (might involve a light blue wire or a connector block:umm:):geek:

badlegbill

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be right, but I don't leave the ignition on for days on this one..If I think of a way to wire it safely so it does what it does deliberately I will do it; maybe a high resistance off the sky blue. You can see our manuals are more poetic than yours, light blue indeed !