Neutral light not working

BustedNuckle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey just a quick question..my neutral light is not working.its a newly purchased bike so I don't know much about connection for this. I thought I heard something about connection on the case? Thx

start with the bulb.
Then behind the cylinders is a screw or push in contact, depending on year, that a light blue wire connects to, selecting neutral GROUNDS the blue wire, so a check is to ground it to the case which should light the bulb.

On some of the later models, the neutral light is tied into some of the safety relays. You need it working or those relays won't allow other things to work. Important things too, like the ignition and the starter, lol.

Check if there is power to the bulb when ignition switched on. Use a multimeter to check if there is continuity between the earth side of the bulb socket and the engine/neutral switch on the engine. This narrows down where the issue is. Neutral switch is below the carbs on top of the gear box. It is usually covered with a black plastic snap-on cover which is hard to remove cold but easier if you prewarm it wiht a hot air gun - not too hot or it melts. Underneath the wire has a clip that is attached to the switch with a screw.

Neutral.png

Last edited:
Check if there is power to the bulb when ignition switched on. Use a multimeter to check if there is continuity between the earth side of the bulb socket and the engine/neutral switch on the engine. This narrows down where the issue is. Neutral switch is below the carbs on top of the gear box. It is usually covered with a black plastic snap-on cover which is hard to remove cold but easier if you prewarm it wiht a hot air gun - not too hot or it melts. Underneath the wire has a clip that is attached to the switch with a screw.
Hopefully I can get a look at it today.

Update: bulb was good, but the wire to switch on case was broken and not connected. Fixed the wire but the switch on case is not grounding while in neutral. When I ground the wire manually the light comes on. I unscrewed the switch from case and inspected it. The end of it looks like it should have more of a spring load.. it just moves up and down like nothing is pressing against it at all. Maybe this is normal but I would think there should be abit of pressure to hold it and make a good ground connection. Can't seem to find this part for sale..

Sounds like the spring is broken or stuck. Try cleaning with a contact cleaner or WD40 then if spring stuck it may free up. Possibly soak overnight in WD40 or white spirits. If you find it becomes time consuming then perhaps buy a second hand or new modern replacement. In UK the XS after market suppliers sell a replacement and it is available through Ebay but they do look a bit cheap and easy to strip thread:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-...045916?hash=item592661ff5c:g:yQUAAOSw4ohcLL0P

I would try a second hand switch if you can get one easily. On Ebay coming from USA the postage is very high!!

Sounds like the spring is broken or stuck. Try cleaning with a contact cleaner or WD40 then if spring stuck it may free up. Possibly soak overnight in WD40 or white spirits. If you find it becomes time consuming then perhaps buy a second hand or new modern replacement. In UK the XS after market suppliers sell a replacement and it is available through Ebay but they do look a bit cheap and easy to strip thread:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-...045916?hash=item592661ff5c:g:yQUAAOSw4ohcLL0P

I would try a second hand switch if you can get one easily. On Ebay coming from USA the postage is very high!!
Good idea.. try that. Thx

Back