New 75 no spark

sweatybetty89

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been looking around on the forum for a answer to this question not getting any where. Buddy picked up a 75 that has a blue xs charge e advance on it. When we bought the bike it started and would go but would get super hot and then shut off like a electrical problem just real quick like. He rode it a couple times (against my advice) and he made it out to the shop. Well he left the key on .... smh. The coil was fried. had no spark. Got new coil no spark. traced the wires got power to the red wire coming of e advance but not green is this right? My ground is good on new coil. It has a pma on it and bare bones wiring system. Did it fry the xs charge? I know they are kinda hated here. I'm running a Boyer on my bike and did that because horrible rep mikes shit has had on this forum. The green wire was also kinda shredded by the coil like it was looking for a ground and around the connecting bolts for the coil was covered in black plastic that looked like it oozed off the coil. Any help would be nice.

You say the 75 is running a PMA. Is it also running a battery? If not, then try temporarily wiring a known good battery to the system. It needs good strong voltage to run. The PMA and capacitor alone may not be providing enough. I’ve never ran a PMA but have read on lots of similar issues here about this.

You say the 75 is running a PMA. Is it also running a battery? If not, then try temporarily wiring a known good battery to the system. It needs good strong voltage to run. The PMA and capacitor alone may not be providing enough. I’ve never ran a PMA but have read on lots of similar issues here about this.
It is running a battery and very well could be low on charge where he left the key on

Get a full charge on the battery and see what happens. If nothing there, start looking to see where the smoke got out. Melted plastic is never a good sign. Others here are way more knowledgeable in this area than I am. Hopefully they will chime in too.

Been looking around on the forum for a answer to this question not getting any where. Buddy picked up a 75 that has a blue xs charge e advance on it. When we bought the bike it started and would go but would get super hot and then shut off like a electrical problem just real quick like. He rode it a couple times (against my advice) and he made it out to the shop. Well he left the key on .... smh. The coil was fried. had no spark. Got new coil no spark. traced the wires got power to the red wire coming of e advance but not green is this right? My ground is good on new coil. It has a pma on it and bare bones wiring system. Did it fry the xs charge? I know they are kinda hated here. I'm running a Boyer on my bike and did that because horrible rep mikes shit has had on this forum. The green wire was also kinda shredded by the coil like it was looking for a ground and around the connecting bolts for the coil was covered in black plastic that looked like it oozed off the coil. Any help would be nice.
My cousin had the same thing happen on his xs with the xs charge system. He traced it back to the coil. Replaced it and sorted out his wiring and it worked after that.

I replaced the coil. When I turn the motor over I'm not getting any indication on my test light from my field wire or pulse wire if you will. It's green. I bought new ignition. I had power every where but there. Pma is good ,battery is good, wires look clean besides that green wire coming out the e advance it smoked and had no spark after that

I replaced the coil. When I turn the motor over I'm not getting any indication on my test light from my field wire or pulse wire if you will. It's green. I bought new ignition. I had power every where but there. Pma is good ,battery is good, wires look clean besides that green wire coming out the e advance it smoked and had no spark after that
I'll let you guys know if the new ignition works

Back