New addition to the garage

I see you did an edit and added questions to your post #99. No need to weld up the original arm hole, just drill another closer to the center of rotation. The late arm was the same part, just had the hole drilled closer in .....

Mid_and_Late_Worm_Gears.jpg

Late Worm Gear.jpg

The distance from the center is the same on the XS400 "1L9" worm so you could get a measurement for the hole location. Early 650 worms were even shorter and while that did give better plate separation, it made for a very hard lever pull. I tried one but only briefly because of that.

Yes, the XS400 "1L9" worm is clocked a little differently but a small, easy mod makes it work. See post #65 here for details .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-4

I see you did an edit and added questions to your post #99. No need to weld up the original arm hole, just drill another closer to the center of rotation. The late arm was the same part, just had the hole drilled closer in .....

View attachment 207346

View attachment 207347

The distance from the center is the same on the XS400 "1L9" worm so you could get a measurement for the hole location. Early 650 worms were even shorter and while that did give better plate separation, it made for a very hard lever pull. I tried one but only briefly because of that.

Yes, the XS400 "1L9" worm is clocked a little differently but a small, easy mod makes it work. See post #65 here for details .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-4
Did you use a belt sander to remove the 1mm?

No, I simply worked the top of the nylon worm against some coarse sand paper laid on a plate of glass .....

WormSand.jpg

There's another little mod you may find you need. On many of the side covers (most I've seen), the hole that the worm mounts into has a little lip or ridge around it .....

HoleRidge.jpg

The mounting tabs don't fit against the case and when you screw the worm down tight, it can distort the nylon part and bind the worm up. I "buff" it off with Roloc discs .....

HoleRidge3.jpg

HoleRidge83.jpg

I guess I’ll be needing new air filters. Drilled holes to shake some of the $hit out but realized the foam had disintegrated. Get “stock like” replacements or UNI’s?

Your stock cages make a good base to wrap with filter foam if you’re interested. Filter foam can be purchased in sheets online. Uni sells some, most of them are green. I also bought a bottle of filter oil, but it’s really sticky stuff and a mess to work with. Regular motor oil works just as well.
ED431A39-4349-4A64-B452-A8A5798E973D.jpegCCC9D2A9-16A2-4C92-8AA9-15E5D22E6940.jpeg2AB5FFD4-CB0C-4EA5-B11A-0CFC18ABD431.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll look into this. Do you cut and glue the foam to form a “donut”?

No I just cut the foam into strips and wrap it around the cage and overlap the ends, I cut the strip about a half inch too wide so it fits tight against the edges. To hold it in place, what I use is just something I had on hand, I have a big roll of green twist tie wire, that they sell in plant nurseries and hardware stores for tying up plants. I just cut a couple of long pieces and wrap around the filter and twist the ends. That way it’s easy to remove for cleaning and re oiling.

No I just cut the foam into strips and wrap it around the cage and overlap the ends, I cut the strip about a half inch too wide so it fits tight against the edges. To hold it in place, what I use is just something I had on hand, I have a big roll of green twist tie wire, that they sell in plant nurseries and hardware stores for tying up plants. I just cut a couple of long pieces and wrap around the filter and twist the ends. That way it’s easy to remove for cleaning and re oiling.
Ok sounds easy. What thickness did you buy? The stuff I saw on Amazon was 5/8” which I thought was a bit thick. I see theres 3/8” available elsewhere.

Ok sounds easy. What thickness did you buy? The stuff I saw on Amazon was 5/8” which I thought was a bit thick. I see theres 3/8” available elsewhere.

I didn’t buy sheet foam, I bought what was supposed to be a replacement foam filter,
A58C0B3C-F708-4CA7-B046-D12CD7805794.jpeg
but it didn’t work, so I cut it up and made my own. It’s about 3/8” thick, at first I double wrapped it, but it seemed too restrictive to me, so it’s now a single layer.
CF3FEEE8-3289-4EB5-948C-E53A56705A70.jpeg

I didn’t buy sheet foam, I bought what was supposed to be a replacement foam filter,
View attachment 207930
but it didn’t work, so I cut it up and made my own. It’s about 3/8” thick, at first I double wrapped it, but it seemed too restrictive to me, so it’s now a single layer.
View attachment 207929
Yes I thought about trying to find a pre made donut of foam but thought I would have to buy too many before I found the correct one. I think the sheet will be the most cost effective solution. I want to get this done soon so I’ll have to hunt down a local supplier with stock. Thanks for the intel!

Back