New Build Thread - XS650 Swingarm Chop-Shakeybones

shakeybones

Anything is edible if you are brave enough
Reaction score
Hey what's going on everybody? KCMO resident. New to this forum but not to bike building and tinkering. This is my second XS650 project but I figured since nobody has all the answers and I surely don't--why not join a forum dedicated to arguably one of the finest base bikes for a project--XS650.

One of my first builds was an 83 650 I did as a hardtail chop. Since then I have stripped out an 85 BMW k100 into a streetfighter, a CB550 brat, a CRF450r supermoto, and a few other odds and ends on bikes I have owned or helped pull together. But at the end of the day I wanted another xs.

Anyway, I acquired an engine post accident from a friend who was nearly smoked by being ran over by an SUV (he has made a full recovery) The bike was pretty wadded up but the engine was perfect (TX650), the lace wheels and small fiddly bits were also good. I polished up the engine and wheels over the past few months while deciding what kind of bike I wanted to build. After deciding I need a stock unmolested frame for my swingarm chop I posted an ad on CL looking for a frame. A member of this for Jim hit me up within 20 min and I went to his place to help him pull the engine and he made me a great deal on the forks and frame. Thanks Jim!
So I got the frame back to my shop in KCMO Hickory Union Moto a community motorcycle gagrge in the old west bottoms district of Kansas City. It will sit until Tuesday. We have a moped rally at the shop this weekend and I don't wanna tear into a bike right before the chaos of the rally. This will be a kept up build thread so check back for updates after Tuesday and follow along.
I just wanted to make an introduction and get the thread started.
Also if you are in the Kansas City area..or anywhere come to the rally this weekend. It will be a good time with a bunch of like minded folks and a party for about 3 days straight.
Or come hang at the shop. Everyone is welcome! I am not an owner of the shop..just a community member.

Hickory Union Moto
10 South James Street
Kansas City, KS

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!! Guess I'll be the first to say it.... we love pics here. ;) Was happy to see the frame and forks go to a good home.
Speakin' of pics, put up a pic of your shop. Cool art is also welcome here. :D

Thanks Jim!
So I got the frame back to my shop in KCMO Hickory Union Moto a community motorcycle gagrge in the old west bottoms district of Kansas City.

Or come hang at the shop. Everyone is welcome! I am not an owner of the shop..just a community member.
Dang ! shakeybones.. Seems your XS community there is quite active.
Big Welcome here too . Keep us in the loop.
Wish I could attend such a shop as you have found. I haven't found anything like that here near Vancouver WA .
-RT

Welcome to the forum Shakey!
Well your introduction sounded so interesting I had to look up Hickory Moto. What a very cool concept!
I have my own space to work, but how many times have we seen guys trying to rebuild their bikes outdoors and without the tools for the job. The idea of a community garage, that supplies tools, a place to work on and store your bike, and a coffee shop and is also just a fun place to hang out! Every big city should have a place like that!
Good luck with your project!
Bob

sounded so interesting I had to look up Hickory Moto. What a very cool concept!
Yeah.... silly me... should'a guessed they'd have a web presence. :rolleyes:
Very cool concept indeed! Soon as I get my bike legal, I'll take a trip down there.

venue-405219.png

Sadly the transaslp had to get sold for my friend to buy his KTM 690 rally bike but there are a lot of great vintage and rare bikes at the shop and people stopping by. One guy has an Honda NSR250r two stroke race bike he had imported from Japan. Some great builds in the community. Some CB750s and Viragos. My favorite current build is by one of our members Kate who took a 83 Virago and made it something pretty amazing. I will snap a bunch of photos of the shop and bikes at the shop and post em up tomorrow.

Is that an old 305 scrambler? Man, I'd love to have another one of them.

15586677502018699635457637862008.jpg

Yessir! We got loads of shit. Some fore sale..some not. I think that bike may be. I know the engine is done but the member abandoned the project

Yup yup. I just cut off the passenger pegs mounts and that grab bar. I will set them aside for you whenever. I will need to figure out how to mount a rear brake spring return in the future. It was part of the peg mounts.
15588913666368555521193550014965.jpg

You looked around this forum for inspirations yet? There's quiet a few chops in here.

I ran into the same brake return spring mount situation myself. I used a aftermarket MC but still needed a lever stop and spring mount.:shrug:
brake lever-stop 024.JPG brake lever-stop 026.JPG

Back