New Build

mattmcbroom

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I aquired this bike in the most unusual way and i have greatly admired these bikes for some time so i am anxious to dive in to this build. Helo me get started?:eek:

This is my bike the day i got it

Attachments

• 20150909_104616.jpg
    20150909_104616.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 298
The bike runs but i need to either rebuild clean or even replace the stator and the electric starter hangs up when trying to use so im sure its something with the bendix gear. The bike has 11k miles so im wanting to tear it down completely and just clean and reuse the parts that are fine. I'll probably replace most of the important things like brakes and whatnot. I considered a bobber build but with everyone chopping these bikes up i believe keeping it original as possible is going to be very valuable and sought after one day.

Welcome aboard Matt,
Personally I'd check compression since she's a running bike. If it falls into passing parameters I'd leave it alone.....unless time and money is no object.
Smart on trying to keep her stock, the '78 and '79 Specials may be the the best years for the body style with the seat and the rear tail light setup, yeah the newer ones are ok but that flying brick tail light, stupid stepped seat and clunky ass grab bar.......

Yes, just change out those idiotic handlebars for something with a lower rise and the whole bike will be transformed. I had the EXTREME displeasure of riding one of these with the original buckhorn bars this summer. Going in a straight line was OK but turns were absolutely horrendous, lol. I can't believe Yamaha could even sell a bike equipped like that. Today, they'd be sued out of business, lol.

I kjow its a personal perception on the bars but i like em. Whats the most valued place to order parts for this bike from?

Is the sissy bar as unusual as i think they are? I dont see many in pics. I like that i have one i think it looks totally 70s

Is the sissy bar as unusual as i think they are? I dont see many in pics. I like that i have one i think it looks totally 70s

The best advice I can give is to get shot of the sissy because they may bikes look poncy, and possibly change the handle bars for something a little more practical, aside from that go for standard look.

Mikesxs. https://www.mikesxs.net/
Or search for 650 central. Mikes has some issues on parts that have been discussed in this forum.
On the handlebars.....if they become an issue for you consider the Standard bars, euro bars or Honda 750's. There's folks that will stand by all three of these.
On the sissy bar....I believe it was available as an option back in the day. I run the same one on my '83 in hopes the misses might have a go some day. Not likely, more likely a place for a sleeping bag and a small tent.

I kjow its a personal perception on the bars but i like em. Whats the most valued place to order parts for this bike from?

Hi matt,
you may like the way they look but wait until you try riding with them.
After a test ride you will most likely revise your opinion.
I reckon the best use of those rototiller bars is as the tenor note in a backyard windchime.
To get you started.
First, get it running.
Check the tires for age and condition.
Buy a Saddlemens seat cover.
Make a ride-tested decision about the bars
Think about these upgrades:-
Stainless brake lines. Smaller piston diameter front brake master cylinder. Drill the brake disk full of holes.

I have a '78 - '79 also, Has handlebars from a Honda CB750, comfortable. Personally I find the sissy bar very useful, especially when you have enough bungie cords. My wife didn't like the cushioned backrest I added, she said Charmin would probably be softer.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 230
  • P7250004.JPG
    P7250004.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 222
I really like the look of those bars but in all reality safety is a big concern of mine because where i live bikers get hit often enough to consider swapping those bars out for the bette handing around bad drivers. I like the look of those bars from the 750 maybe ill look into some

Hi matt,
bars is like shoes, you gotta try 'em on to see if they'll fit you.
It took me a few bar swaps to find the bar that was good for me.
After taking my first ride and dumping the rototillers I tried Eurobars (too low), then CB750 bars (too high) and finally GT750 bars (perfect)
Although now that the XS650 is pulling a sidecar the Standard bars from my XS11 sidecar rig are a better fit than the GT50 bars and the carefully saved CB750 bars work perfectly on the XS11 rig.

I havent seen a 650 with the gt bars could you post one? You're absolutely right about them being like shoe's i believe ill be doing the same with swaps and maybe keep the bars i just kinda like for spares. I was thinking sidecar but i dont know enough yet to persuade myself towards that build. Whats your personal opinion? Worth it??

First wash and it gave me a bit of motivation and got me thinking of different ideas than before it was clean haha.

Attachments

• 20151010_154719.jpg
    20151010_154719.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 263
- - - I was thinking sidecar but i dont know enough yet to persuade myself towards that build. Whats your personal opinion? Worth it??

Hi matt,
sidecars, you love 'em or hate 'em, that's up to you.
But will an XS650 haul a sidecar?
Sure it will. So long as it ain't too heavy and you don't need to keep up to high speed traffic on the interstate.
My Heritage Special happily cruises at 55mph pulling the Velorex 562 although it didn't do too well pulling the far heavier American Spirit that's now on my XS11.
A sidecar can carry all the gear you'll ever need to take on a trip OR a young lady and SOME of her stuff OR 14 dozen of beer.
A sidecar also mysteriously converts a scary unshaven biker to someone folks walk their kids across a carpark to visit with.
All you'll need to convert an XS650 to a sidecar tug is a 17/36 sprocket pair and perhaps wider bars.
Which kinda locks you into #10 tracker bars from MikesXS.
AND A SUBFRAME
If you are interested send me a PM with your postal address and I'll mail you a sketch of my latest subframe design. It'll be #5. #1 thru #4 got less and less complicated and the latest will be just about right.

Fred, if possible could you post up those designs here on the forum. It would be interesting to see what all is involved in attaching a sidecar.

Back