Post a Photo of your Dog

Wow, some amazing buildings. Thank you for the history lesson, Yamadude! Never seen comparable round buildings on farms in Britain - the internal detail of construction maybe shows why, must have taken a lot of labour and resources to build one of those?

********** Digression warning ***********

I'm always interested in how words are used. The meaning of barn seems to have shifted and has become a general term for any large, uhm, shed on a farm. When I was little and use to play on farms - happy memories, just like Bob - barn meant a place for storing crops. An animal shed, specifically for cows, was a byre and usually had a hayloft above. Often with cats living there! The building set up for milking cows was a milking parlour. A big, often open-sided shed for hay was, surprisingly, a hay shed. Tractors were kept in the tractor shed.

There are some traditional very old barns in England, varying in size, of wooden construction but placed on mushroom-shaped stone stilts. The stilts were to keep rats out of a building filled with oats, barley, wheat. Not aware of any in the Borders so gonna have to surf the web to find a picture:

View attachment 197816

Also in England, there medieval tithe-barns, which are some of the finest surviving buildings from their time. This is Great Coxwell tithe barn, built about 1292 by the Cistercian abbey of Beaulieu to store grain:

View attachment 197814

In the 21st century, people put up a retail building on a farm or just anywhere rural with a large internal space, perhaps as a coffee shop or farm shop, and they always seem to call it a barn.

Every time I see one of your posts with a historically significant structure, I am reminded of just how young our country here is. The first American colonies weren’t established for another three hundred plus years after that Coxwell barn was built and it still looks like new! Amazing!

IMG_20210910_132256410_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210910_132312265.jpg

If you'll look close this building was made of 2 wooden box cars with a roof over the top[ to make a corn crib machine shed ?
Where I live in Waite park was the St. Cloud car shops when the Burlington Northern repaired box cars cabooses and crew cars
I think they also built new cars too
Back in the day you could buy these old wood cars as they were going with all metal cars at that time
If fact you could buy a car strip all the wood off it to use on a house or garage and whatever you left behind they would just burn
If you would take all the box car boards out of the houses and garages in town out you'd be missing a lot a garages and a few houses to boot

Last edited:
View attachment 197949 View attachment 197950
If you'll look close this building was made of 2 wooden box cars with a roof over the top[ to make a corn crib machine shed ?
Where I live in Waite park was the St. Cloud car shops when the Burlington Northern repaired box cars cabooses and crew cars
Back in the day you could buy these old wood cars as they were going with all metal cars at that time
If fact you could buy a car strip all the wood off it to use on a house or garage and whatever you left behind they would just burn
If you would take all the box car boards out of the houses and garages in town out you'd be missing a lot a garages and a few houses to boot

That’s a pretty cool bit of history there Mike! Bike looks good too! :geek:

Mike, I've never seen or heard of such a barn before! Like Bob said, its a very interesting piece of history.

I reminds me of a superb book I just finished by Rinker Buck who retraced the whole Oregon Trail recently in a real covered wagon with mules.
He said that back during the westward expansion and gold rush, the plethora of covered wagons were routinely dismantled on the west coast and used for houses and such.
9781410482709-us.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, I've never seen or heard of such a barn before! Like Bob said, its a very interesting piece of history.

I reminds me of a superb book I just finished by Rinker Buck who retraced the whole Oregon Trail recently in a real covered wagon with mules.
He said that back during the westward expansion and gold rush, the plethora of covered wagons were routinely dismantled on the west coast and used for houses and such.
9781410482709-us.jpg
I would imagine since they had no plans of going back it was the best thing to do
Lumber is lumber
I'll have to see if the local library can get me that book it sounds like a good read

I would imagine since they had no plans of going back it was the best thing to do
Lumber is lumber
I'll have to see if the local library can get me that book it sounds like a good read

My '75 is a "10 footer,", too.

75.XS.Calendr 020.JPG

I recommend the audiobook. Rinker reads his book himself; he is a unique, quirky individual, so his personality adds much to the experience.

Almost skimmed over your barn description Mikey. Was thinking not much of a barn but with a closer look, very cool!
Read that book last winter a great trip.
Baraboo was a maintenance center on the Chicago to Minneapolis railroad
West Baraboo, located across the river from where the car shops operated, has many houses with 7' ceilings. You can guess the relation.

Last edited:

I find it really sad to see something with a unique heritage go to wast like that. I would think the carriages would be worth saving. Over here they could be converted into a house/living arangment

My '75 is a "10 footer,", too.

View attachment 198087

I recommend the audiobook. Rinker reads his book himself; he is a unique, quirky individual, so his personality adds much to the experience.
I'm just looking at your tank and side covers
Mines now a 20' and 20mph bike
Nice 75 !!

Almosty skimmed your barn description Mikey was thinking not much of a barn but with a closer look, very cool!
Read that book last winter a great trip.
Baraboo was a maintenance center on the Chicago to Minneapolis railroad
West Baraboo, located across the river from where the car shops operated, has many houses with 7' ceilings. You can guess the relation.
What railroad

I find it really sad to see something with a unique heritage go to wast like that. I would think the carriages would be worth saving. Over here they could be converted into a house/living arangment
This conversion to corn crib would have happened a long time ago
It seems now people are converting ocean shipping containers and being reused for housing or even being turned into swimming pools

What railroad
Chicago & North Western Railroad. Baraboo was the headquarters for nearly 500 miles of track between Madison, Wisconsin and Winona, Minnesota.
This link to Baraboo RR history may be behind a paywall for you.
https://saukcountyhistory.org/baraboodepot
Many of the carshop buildings remain in use today, Circus World Museum uses them to store and rebuild antique circus wagons.
Cal-and-Maida-Bergner-820x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Chicago & North Western Railroad. Baraboo was the headquarters for nearly 500 miles of track between Madison, Wisconsin and Winona, Minnesota.
This link to Baraboo RR history may be behind a paywall for you.
https://saukcountyhistory.org/baraboodepot
Many of the carshop buildings remain in use today, Circus World Museum uses them to store and rebuild antique circus wagons.
I'll have to go over to the St, cloud area where they still switch cars around to make up different train loads
They have an old locally sourced granite depot there
There's a lot of granite quarries in this area if fact St, Cloud is called Granite city
And the local prisons walls are made from granite sourced from the granite quarry on site
What a bugger being a prisoner and helping make the stone wall to contain you while your there

back in NZ in the late 70's or early 80's the railway phased out the rail car. It was a service much like a buss service except it was on the rail. A 2 car rail car that could be driven from eacj[h end, so no need for a turntable at the end of the line.............Anyways, . when these were sold off a lot of them wee bought and made into beach batches. people who owned land or bought a lease, (99 years), for their annual beach holiday.

That's what i see that could be a novel use for those carriages.

People here used old pull RV's and they would end up being lake cabins of sorts take the wheels off and park them
That can't happen now with no outhouses allowed etc. but middle income folks could have a lake cabin of sorts

Back