New guy, 1980 Home Today!

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
Not my first post here, but I've already received some good info here which helped in the buying process. The first bike I was looking at fell through (long story), but this one ended up as a much better experience. 1980 with cast wheels, disc F&R, and ~20,000 miles for $975. It does run, but the battery is shot. Also, at about half throttle, it cuts out like it's running on one cylinder. Under that it runs and idles fine. PO thought the ignition box was bad. I don't know if there is any way to test them. This will probably be chopped a bit for my wife to ride.

Kent

SDC11896.jpg

The Yamaha family:

SDC11903.jpg

Nice. That exhaust is pretty cool too. I would probably start with rebuilding the carbs. It is going to need it sooner or later any way.
Georelle

That's what I was thinking too. I've been through the carbs on my V-Star 1100 a ton of times, and I figure these can't be that much harder to rebuild. Came with a Clymer manual too! Thanks!

Kent

Nice canvas to work on! and the lady looks pleased, good. Don't run that bike with the toolbag on the front- air flow and heat.
Looking forward to the changes you'll be making.

Nice canvas to work on! and the lady looks pleased, good. Don't run that bike with the toolbag on the front- air flow and heat.
Looking forward to the changes you'll be making.
She's very excited! Had an ugly set of saddlebags that matched the fork bag. They all went in the trash. Pretty gnarly...

Kent

Howdy, Kent. Welcome to yet another forum! Glad to see you joining the wild and wacky XS650 world. Lots of smart guys here. Have fun.

The Other Kent

Back