New here!

The wife borrowed the 81' for some riding lessons! Day one so she was staying slow in an undeveloped subdivision. I sat on the curb with my helmet on so I could talk her through it all using the Cardos in our helmets. Spent a few hours working on her clutch control, shes pretty determined and is picking it up quick! It was fun to see her and the XS getting along so well!🤣
1000002914.jpg

The wife borrowed the 81' for some riding lessons! Day one so she was staying slow in an undeveloped subdivision. I sat on the curb with my helmet on so I could talk her through it all using the Cardos in our helmets. Spent a few hours working on her clutch control, shes pretty determined and is picking it up quick! It was fun to see her and the XS getting along so well!🤣
View attachment 323213
Great looking bike and your Mrs just makes it better. Great to have another biker in the fold.

Finally got stuff from partzilla to finish my front fork rebuild on the 81'. They gotpowder coated, new seals all around, lowered 1", damnper valves, and the damnper rods drilled out. With 20wt, the test ride went swimmingly! Big improvement! I really like the stance now, can sit flat footed at stop lights finally!
1000002936.jpg
1000002897.jpg

Thinking about trying to fit some of the tin side covers to this special to clean up the lines, I realize I will probably have to modify them and/or the frame. How did those earlier tin covers mount? I see the two slots on top of most of them, did they just slide over some tabs on the frame with a thumb screw at the bottom?

Thinking about trying to fit some of the tin side covers to this special to clean up the lines, I realize I will probably have to modify them and/or the frame. How did those earlier tin covers mount? I see the two slots on top of most of them, did they just slide over some tabs on the frame with a thumb screw at the bottom?
Tuis is an '81 Special. I removed the old mount and fabbed up some new ones from .060" mild steel. The bottom mount is a bullet that snaps into the rubber grommet.
17138991269489122046980627004441.jpg
l
17138991835982101308792915936847.jpg
17138992076193135331648041721620.jpg
17138995572234388581397086305063.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a pair of tin covers for my 79 Spec and they just fitted straight on. No mods necessary, iirc. It was a few years ago. Luckily, my seat isn't as weirdly shaped as the Special from the following model, so the room was just about right for the rectangular metal tins.

I do not want to derail your thread and apologies ahead if you are slighted. Seems the Special frame drops the seat base/ fender hoop section of the frame downwards. That means shorter "inseam" folks get a little bit more comfort and security. In my build I added 12.5" shocks to that lower stance which switches the geometry a bit and the sprightly handling is very nice.

Back