New here!

so, now, I'm cautiously optimistic that my regulator, or it's ground has failed?!? If so, can I slap the 80's reg in this '81?
Yes and yes. It could very well be a break in the green wire from the brush to the regulator, so ohm that out to verify... but yeah, the '80 and '81 reg/rec are interchangeable.

If you wouldn't mind Peeps, I'd like to see some good shots of that chain guard. Don't believe I ever seen one with lightning holes.... :umm:

Untitled.png

Sweet! I'll ohm that out! The chain guard is nothing special Jim, just pulled it off to blast and paint as it was really rusty and decided to punch a couple "speed holes"😂 used my small simple die to give it a little character. I wanted more but the cast/webbing on the back wouldn't allow.
PXL_20221008_182001247.jpg

Holy crap! The reg swap worked! Bikes now charging! You guys are the best! Special thanks to Jim!👍. Sure made this troubleshooting fairly painless! I still think my rotor was starting to fail so Jim will probably be seeing that soon! But the reg was definitely the problem.

I still think my rotor was starting to fail so Jim will probably be seeing that soon!
If they're both OEM's, they're 40+ yrs old. Their best years are behind 'em and they don't last forever. A fair bit of my rewinds are spares for folk who want one "ready to swap." You might want to consider sending me one over the winter for next season.

Just went for a 60mile ride. She charged the whole time! this will be her state till the snow flies. Fairly mechanically sound now, thanks to you guys!👍

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_225912346.jpg
    PXL_20221009_225912346.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20221009_225944591.jpg
    PXL_20221009_225944591.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 70
Cleaning up some connections today. Does anyone know if phasing on the three white wires needs to be maintained? Or can any of the three whites from the stator be mixed with the whites going to the reg/rec.?

Cleaning up some connections today. Does anyone know if phasing on the three white wires needs to be maintained? Or can any of the three whites from the stator be mixed with the whites going to the reg/rec.?
Any white to any white. Doesn't matter at all.

Mine has sprung a leak also; just after finishing the build!
Final drive sprocket I believe; it was the only one I didn't change....Duh!:banghead:

Dont want to hijack but perhaps can help here also
If it is the sprocket on the outgoing axle that leaks it can need a re - tightening.
As many other bolts can after a rebuild.
It needs quite a lot torque and it can be tricky to do it.

Dont want to hijack but perhaps can help here also
If it is the sprocket on the outgoing axle that leaks it can need a re - tightening.
As many other bolts can after a rebuild.
It needs quite a lot torque and it can be tricky to do it.
Thank @Jan_P,
I did it up with a breaker bar and impact socket. Then with a borrowed Milwaukee heavy duty impact wrench.
I will just have to refit a new seal.
@Mailman had a similar repetitive leak on his rebuild; so maybe I just need to follow his lead.

Sorry guys, I don't move very fast. Damn full-time job keeps getting in the way😂. Finally getting around to tearing into the 80'. Would like to end up with a sleek little street-scrambler, possibly with an Omar's rear-wheel kit. May send the motor out for a re-phase..... mostly out of curiosity. I have a counter balance seat on the shelf. Im 5' 11", would love to sit at a light flat footed, so possibly some lowering of the suspension as well. What are some of top frame mods you guys like to do while they're stripped?
PXL_20230107_185159813.jpg

Nice workshop!

I may be the wrong guy to comment on frame mods, but many tracker/cafe/scrambler builds hack off the rear loop just behind the upper shock gussets. Many of the Omar's rear fenders need that to look right. Some will weld in a replacement loop, some just plug the frame rail ends.

Be aware that there may be supply issues with Omar's currently and you may want fender in-hand before any hacking commences.

I'm not familiar with that seat.

Thanks JP! Shop is small, but we're making it work! I was referring to Omar's 19" rear wheel kit (which is on the shelf), not the rear fender though. Curious how guys beef up these frames when cleaning up the under seat area, I do plan on running a battery still, as I love electric start. How strong are these frames? Do they need some additional gusseting in places? I plan on building this to take the occasional dirt mountain road that I'm afraid to explore on my other shiney street machines.

Back