New member. Beginning build.

Okay, please forgive my ignorance on this matter. Can someone give me a rough estimate on what a bike like this will cost to make get in good running order? I understand there are a lot of unknown variables here. I have expensive hobbies (saltwater fishing, cigars, firearms, and few others). Just trying to see what hobby will have to take a backseat. Thanks.

Okay, please forgive my ignorance on this matter. Can someone give me a rough estimate on what a bike like this will cost to make get in good running order? I understand there are a lot of unknown variables here. I have expensive hobbies (saltwater fishing, cigars, firearms, and few others). Just trying to see what hobby will have to take a backseat. Thanks.
The "short list" in post #53 would be approximately $500 in parts and supplies if doing the work yourself. It may or may not stop there, depending on what is found going forward

Some very nice bikes come together for $2K or sometimes a good bit less. If you load up on new OE parts, $5K can happen quickly. Someone else's labor and it's a different hobby for people with deep pockets. Whatever time you can put in often results in less money. As you've likely already learned, the experience here will also help you avoid costly and unnecessary mistakes. Yes, I'm saying the cost of this hobby is all over the place. Even, if you buy a new bike, it's going to use up chains, sprockets, lubricants, etc. You get the picture.

A good lifetime collection of tools can save a lot of hassle and money, even adds to the enjoyment side of this. Kitchen utensils are useless.

Last edited:
Restoring or even running an older vehicle requires time, money and mechanical skills. The less of any one of those means you need more of the other two. Though if you have plenty of money you don't really need time or mechanical skills.

Maybe somebody could do a PhD to work out the equation?

If you load up on new OE parts, $5K can happen quickly.

You been talking to my wife? 😆 Before I restored my two Yamahas, I did a Triumph Bonneville and a BMW 1000cc airhead. On both of those bikes I stopped putting money in them when I felt they had reached a break even point as to what they were worth, and they turned out to be nice riders that were nice looking and reliable but they fell short of what I would consider a restored bike to look like.

When I restored my first XS650, I went past the money invested / what’s the bike worth tipping point.
As Marty said, I started throwing a whole lot of new parts at it.

Then came my XS2. :whistle: I wanted that bike to look showroom, minty fresh, so that one took a deep dive into my wallet, way past the break even point. But it was kind of a bucket list thing for me, so I didn’t care.

My personal opinion, I think the smart thing to do , is just get them running good, looking ok from ten feet, and ride the heck out of them. Then again nobody ever accused me of being smart.

Update: it’s slowly coming together. My next question is if anyone knows if a flat seat is made that won’t require the frame to be hacked?

Attachments

• E1908128-E130-4AE6-805E-127323706B71.jpeg
    E1908128-E130-4AE6-805E-127323706B71.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 54
  • 72DB45F6-AE43-46B1-84BB-F202F5B1E91B.jpeg
    72DB45F6-AE43-46B1-84BB-F202F5B1E91B.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 54
  • 7F2900E5-706D-4FB7-BA3C-0D534448EB74.jpeg
    7F2900E5-706D-4FB7-BA3C-0D534448EB74.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 46
  • B756B6F3-11B3-4EDB-8503-45F67DC6864B.jpeg
    B756B6F3-11B3-4EDB-8503-45F67DC6864B.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 53
I took a grinder to the stock K&Q seat and made it flat which worked for a while. When I added the 750 tank, I had to find a better seat. Your basic fiberglass cafe' seat will fit without chopping the frame. You'll probably have to remove the rear fender or flatten the top of it. I eventually took it off.

Attachments

• 650RatBike.JPG
    650RatBike.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 45
Hello everyone. My dad gave me this Special 2 a few days ago and I’m struggling to decide what to do with it. I love both cafe bikes and bobbers. The issue is I’m by no means a bike builder but I’m not into the “dad bike” look.
I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on what you would do with it.
Welcome! As has been said, if you do not already have a clear vision for the bike, best to restore it and ride it.

I have a Frankenstein 81 Special that has parts from multiple years and other Yamaha bikes. Always loved the 60s desert sleds.

Attachments

• 20221122_212519.jpg
    20221122_212519.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 49
Welcome! As has been said, if you do not already have a clear vision for the bike, best to restore it and ride it.

I have a Frankenstein 81 Special that has parts from multiple years and other Yamaha bikes. Always loved the 60s desert sleds.
Nice scooter you have. Love those springer forks too.
Ads.

I like the straight pipes. Where are they from? Or home fab?

Nice scooter you have. Love those springer forks too.
Ads.
I like the straight pipes. Where are they from? Or home fab?
Not Springer forks. Stock forks from a '79. Cut the headlight ears off and slipped the old shocks from a Suzuki GS450 over them. Saw a custom Bonneville that looked like that.

Stock headers from an '80 Special with stainless steel 2" exhaust pipe I cut to length myself.

Attachments

• 20221013_212429.jpg
    20221013_212429.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221208_215652.jpg
    20221208_215652.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221208_215741.jpg
    20221208_215741.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 41
Not Springer forks. Stock forks from a '79. Cut the headlight ears off and slipped the old shocks from a Suzuki GS450 over them. Saw a custom Bonneville that looked like that.

Stock headers from an '80 Special with stainless steel 2" exhaust pipe I cut to length myself.
Genius Cooool

Back