New member introduction

Bobcat

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just found this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bob, 67 y/o, I live near Sonora, Ca., I've been a carpenter for exactly 50 years. I don't feel, look or act like I'm that old but I am. I bought a 1972 Yamaha XS2 back in 1977 from the original owner who was going into the army. The bike was in perfect condition and only had about 2,000 miles on it. I paid $800 for the excellent motorcycle. I still have this bike and it is still in excellent original condition with around 5,000 miles on it. The last time that I registered it with the California DMV was in 1989. Since then it has been stored in my shop underneath my house that I built and moved into in 1989. I start it up every 4-5 years and ride it around for a few miles. All I do is get a new battery, some new gas, pull the two spark plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder, replace the spark plugs and wires and kickstart it. Honestly it usually fires up with only two kicks, no more than five kicks and idles great. I took really good care of the bike and only stopped riding it because I thought that I might get hurt since I liked to ride fast. The only thing that I did to the bike was I removed the front/rear turn signals because back then I thought that they looked ugly. The red/white paint still is in great condition. The bike was never in a collision. I always kept the maintenance up although after being in storage for so many years I'm going to start doing somethings to get it in shape to ride it again. I've sealed the fuel tank and bought new petcocks. I need to change the oil, get new tires, new air filters, new brake fluid, ect.
Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that there are still guys like me that have a great 1972 XS2 650 in their shop just waiting to hit the street again. I haven't read any threads/posts yet but I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from you guys. I've only been a member on one other forum "Duck Hunters Forum" and have posted about 5,000 times so I think that I know how things work. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

Hi Bob! Welcome to XS650.com.

1683045683969.png

Only thing I come to think of --- is to take it step wise starting riding.
I have a small bend in the road couple of miles from my home.
Starting and warming up First ride in the spring putting on the helmet and gear
Coming to the bend having given gas And have been close to hit the curb some years.
Sometimes there is gravel there spread against snow in the winter So quick steering don't help.
The front wheel can lose traction.

I used to be a duck hunter, hunting the tidal flats of the Delaware River and Bay. Gave it up for deer hunting, better life to meat ratio, besides, couldn't stand eating duck.
Welcome aboard!
Post some pics.

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bob, 67 y/o, I live near Sonora, Ca., I've been a carpenter for exactly 50 years. I don't feel, look or act like I'm that old but I am. I bought a 1972 Yamaha XS2 back in 1977 from the original owner who was going into the army. The bike was in perfect condition and only had about 2,000 miles on it. I paid $800 for the excellent motorcycle. I still have this bike and it is still in excellent original condition with around 5,000 miles on it. The last time that I registered it with the California DMV was in 1989. Since then it has been stored in my shop underneath my house that I built and moved into in 1989. I start it up every 4-5 years and ride it around for a few miles. All I do is get a new battery, some new gas, pull the two spark plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder, replace the spark plugs and wires and kickstart it. Honestly it usually fires up with only two kicks, no more than five kicks and idles great. I took really good care of the bike and only stopped riding it because I thought that I might get hurt since I liked to ride fast. The only thing that I did to the bike was I removed the front/rear turn signals because back then I thought that they looked ugly. The red/white paint still is in great condition. The bike was never in a collision. I always kept the maintenance up although after being in storage for so many years I'm going to start doing somethings to get it in shape to ride it again. I've sealed the fuel tank and bought new petcocks. I need to change the oil, get new tires, new air filters, new brake fluid, ect.
Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that there are still guys like me that have a great 1972 XS2 650 in their shop just waiting to hit the street again. I haven't read any threads/posts yet but I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from you guys. I've only been a member on one other forum "Duck Hunters Forum" and have posted about 5,000 times so I think that I know how things work. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
Welcome.......I'm a 'newbie' also. The guys on this forum are 'full of it'........I mean knowledge, heh heh, and are very helpful and willing to share all of their expertise. Please post a photo of your XS.

Hi I am cliff.
A rather newbie here without, but I do have an XS650 SP2 1979.

Rear end that is. Spoked Borranis, 16" rim on a Kaw H1.
Original Fox Shocks 14" to get the steering faster. XS swinger for stiffness, rim for fat tyre.

cliff

Back