New member, old owner

Paleomechanic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m on my 5th 650 now after a decade long break in owning these. I just yesterday took delivery of a 1971 model
It’s tucked in by my wood stove in the garage for a long Quebec winter
I’m pleased to have found this site and am looking forward to both sharing tech information and receiving it
I’ve lurked a bit here and wanted to express my thanks to the admin folks for a well run place to gather !
Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• 1668957887350.jpeg
    1668957887350.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 88
Hi all
I’m on my 5th 650 now after a decade long break in owning these. I just yesterday took delivery of a 1971 model
It’s tucked in by my wood stove in the garage for a long Quebec winter
I’m pleased to have found this site and am looking forward to both sharing tech information and receiving it
I’ve lurked a bit here and wanted to express my thanks to the admin folks for a well run place to gather !
Cheers
Nick

Welcome aboard Nick! So do you have any photos of some of your bikes, past or present? What are your plans for the ‘71?

Welcome to the forum!!
The passenger peg mounting "hoops" say it a '74 to '79 frame. Front brake was moved to the rear of the fork in '76 and changed again in '77.
Unless it's a "bitsa," I'd guess it's a '76. Have you ran the VIN against the tables in TECH?

:umm: Hmm....was thinking maybe the motor was '71, but it's later too. So, maybe there is a starter motor underneath too?

Perhaps post more pics of left side and maybe carbs from left

Carbs and cam chain tensioner indicate perhaps '76-78.

Engine # = 447- ? ( could begin with 2-7 depending on yr and country)

Still has the potential to be a great "desert sled" :)

It'll just save a lot of aggravation sourcing bits to know what model the various parts are (# on front of motor)
engine number.jpg

I’ve seen nuttier things with serials , that’s for sure 😊
I suppose the frame was stamped with an earlier number for reasons unknown in the past …
I've got an '80 frame with no title.
I've also got a '70 title with no frame to match it.

3 guesses as to how I'll solve that puzzle.... :wink2:

1668973409676.png

Back