JimmyKnievel

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanna say hi and show off my XS650. Im hoping to learn a lot from you guys and also help out too if i can. Ive had my bike for a few months now and changed a few things
20190615_144335.jpg
20190615_144351.jpg
but havnt ridden much as she dosnt start too easy (getting carbs rebuilt to hopefully sort that). Thanks, jim

Welcome to the forum Jim! Looks like a fun project.
but havnt ridden much as she dosnt start too easy (getting carbs rebuilt to hopefully sort that). Thanks, jim
The CV carbs and the pleated K&N style filters don't play nice with each other. Have you tried it with no filters temporarily to see if that makes a difference? Foam pod filters are what's recommended for CV's (BS34 and 38's)

Welcome Jimmy,

Those pod filters could be causing the hard start............They have a lip on the inside and that covers the venture hole that allows the air in to lift the slides.............that lip shouldn't affect the start but it isn't helping.........and as Jim says, the pleated skirt affects the airflow and that causes the slides to flutter causing stumbling, this has been found on all pleated filters that are open to the elements. Doesn't affect the air flow if the filters are encased in the factory Airbox's

J Knievel, your XS looks like a real forest back road burner here in the Pacific North West !
I like it !
I also second tossing those little cones fast and putting on Pod filters.

Welcome Jimmy,

Those pod filters could be causing the hard start............They have a lip on the inside and that covers the venture hole that allows the air in to lift the slides.............that lip shouldn't affect the start but it isn't helping.........and as Jim says, the pleated skirt affects the airflow and that causes the slides to flutter causing stumbling, this has been found on all pleated filters that are open to the elements. Doesn't affect the air flow if the filters are encased in the factory Airbox's
Thanks. That, along with my cleaned up carbs should make a difference. She just backfires like crazy at the moment and often gives a big kick back when shes kickstarted. Il get there...

She just backfires like crazy at the moment and often gives a big kick back when shes kickstarted. Il get there...
Looks like the original points wire on the left ? Setting both sets of points closer to the timing mark on the stator with a timing light helped reduced kick back on start up on a 78 I had.
Is your mechanical advancer moving freely by touch ?

Looks like the original points wire on the left ? Setting both sets of points closer to the timing mark on the stator with a timing light helped reduced kick back on start up on a 78 I had.
Is your mechanical advancer moving freely by touch ?
I wish i knew what you are talking about but i am completely useless with mechanical things. Im not exactly wealthy either so im hoping its just simple stuff to get right. Your advice is very well recieved anyway so thank you.

Do a search on Mechanical advance..........

Click on search, then go to advance search and use this feature to help get information with what people are talking about.............Get a manual and use that also in conjunction with answers that create questions..........

If you don't have much money then all the help needed will be give willingly and free........Just look at it this way...........the money spent on the carbs could have bought the tools to do the job and still have some left over to by some tools for the next job..............

Get a manual

Some reading

Search results for mechanical Advance
http://www.xs650.com/search/33735346/?q=Mechanical+advance&o=relevance

Search results for mechanical advance by member 5twins
http://www.xs650.com/search/33735374/?q=Mechanical+advance&o=relevance&c[user][0]=156

Do a search on Mechanical advance..........

Click on search, then go to advance search and use this feature to help get information with what people are talking about.............Get a manual and use that also in conjunction with answers that create questions..........

If you don't have much money then all the help needed will be give willingly and free........Just look at it this way...........the money spent on the carbs could have bought the tools to do the job and still have some left over to by some tools for the next job..............

Get a manual

Some reading

Search results for mechanical Advance
http://www.xs650.com/search/33735346/?q=Mechanical+advance&o=relevance

Search results for mechanical advance by member 5twins
http://www.xs650.com/search/33735374/?q=Mechanical+advance&o=relevance&c[user][0]=156
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Basically, the advance rod is located INSIDE the camshaft. It runs in a couple of pressed-in bushings and it must be able to rotate freely so the the points plate (on the LEFT end of the camshaft can change the ignition timing when required to do so by the centrifugal advance system which is mounted on the RIGHT end of the camshaft.

NOTE: the advance rod only rotates through an angle of around 10-20 degrees relative to the camshaft.

When the bike is old, the grease inside the bushings can harden and make the rod stick. This results in incorrect ignition timing advance. You may need to remove the rod and clean out the old grease and put some new grease in there to free things up.

You can easily see both ends of the advance rod by removing the round cover from each end of the camshaft.

Fundamentally, there isn’t anything wrong with ignition points system - aside from the need for some maintenance occasionally. The electronic ignition also works well, but removes the need for any periodic maintenance.

Pete

Thanks, il have a good look at the weekend when i get time. Ive also ordered a Heynes manual to help me along.

Good - and stick at it, you’re in the right place and you will get to the point where you have a sweet running bike.

Pete

Good - and stick at it, you’re in the right place and you will get to the point where you have a sweet running bike.

Pete
That will be great when it happens. Ive commited myself to have my dream bike and im over halfway there already.
I dont wanna be the guy always asking for info on forums, i generally try to figure it out on my own whenever i can.
Just posted some pics and joined the forum as my bike is beginning to look like i wanted ot to, and so wanted to show you guys. Thanks

I’m sure that we all understand your urge to be independent but another way to look at it is that when a question is asked and answered, everybody learns because there isn’t much that is happening now to your bike or mine that hasn’t already happened in the past to someone else’s bike.

Anyhow - per ardua, ad astra.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Back