New project arrives, could this milage be genuine ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This landed on my garden today.
1971 XS1B with matching engine/frame numbers.
A little worse for wear, a few small bits missing, but 98% complete.
I've only just noticed, but the vendor had listed the milage as 85,000 on the listing.
Actual milage on the speedo is 8,045 and the speedo seems to be in good order.
I spotted that the front tyre was horribly cracked when I first viewed the bike, however I didn't spot that it was a Japanese Dunlop K70 - possibly the original one fitted in Japan ?

Attachments

• 20220702_122155.jpg
    20220702_122155.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220702_122129.jpg
    20220702_122129.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220702_122209.jpg
    20220702_122209.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220702_122344.jpg
    20220702_122344.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 97
This landed on my garden today.
1971 XS1B with matching engine/frame numbers.
A little worse for wear, a few small bits missing, but 98% complete.
I've only just noticed, but the vendor had listed the milage as 85,000 on the listing.
Actual milage on the speedo is 8,045 and the speedo seems to be in good order.
I spotted that the front tyre was horribly cracked when I first viewed the bike, however I didn't spot that it was a Japanese Dunlop K70 - possibly the original one fitted in Japan ?
Nice find Grewth; whats the plans for this then?

Nice find Grewth; whats the plans for this then?
Nothing terribly exciting I'm afraid, this bike is far too original for me to mess around with, so it will be restored to a sort of "time warp" original condition.
I think maybe a new set of K70 tyres if I can find some.
Only one thing.
I'm not wild about the Candy Orange Gold that was the standard XS1B scheme.
I think more like Candy Orange, and to hell with the purists.

Now the OTHER XS1B that I've got, well that's just a rolling chassis and a basket case at that.
I'm thinking maybe the XS1 Street Scrambler that Yamaha never got around to ???

My first guess not true 8500
It can happen though here around 1980 there was a boom in sales.. Old motorcyclist bough them and did not drive much
Could find them at very low mileages parked in the garage corner. As new but with valve stem seals dried up at times
We are talking sub 1000 --3000 km at times
I do believe I know where such a Suzuki is sitting even today .. But I suppose the rock bottom prices is over and if one can find one they are up in Price.

Reason why I am Skeptical is that there has been work done to the MC some footrest rubber is gone and it has been polished and resprayed
Maybe replaced fenders.
If closer and looking inside the fenders and after other marks Or better yet a startup. Would help
As I said it can be true .But I would expect a bike with that low mileage to be more " Stock "

That the seller says 85000 is another sign .. He cant be accused for fraud should the mileage be something else
The odometers can be tampered with ..depending on year model and it has happened.
I have heard stories of attaching a drilling machine and run it backwards .Dont know if it is true : But I suppose it can be for old odometers
As well as an entirety different odometer is installed at the same time the rest of the work was done

75-25 Guessing Not true .

Last edited:
Is the wear and tear consistent with a machine in long term storage? 85,000 miles will show. From here, that looks like a good one. Is it getting a restoration?
I'm thinking that the 85,000 miles put enough people off for me to grab the bike first !
Compression seems strong on the kickstart, time will tell if it's a good 'un or not.
It will be getting a restoration, but not to show condition.
If I can just get it mechanically sound and presentable, that will do in the short run.
I don't want a trailer queen, I want to do some milage on it !

My first guess not true 8500
It can happen though here around 1980 there was a boom in sales.. Old motorcyclist bough them and did not drive much
Could find them at very low mileages parked in the garage corner. As new but with valve stem seals dried up at times
We are talking sub 1000 --3000 km at tines
I do believe I know where such a Suzuki is sitting even today .. But I suppose the rock bottom prices is over and if one can find one they are up in Price.

Reason why I am Skeptical is that there has been work done to the MC some footrest rubber is gone and it has been polished and resprayed
Maybe replaced fenders.
If closer and looking inside the fenders and after other marks :eek:r better yet a startup. Would help
As I said it can be true .But I would expect a bike with that low mileage to be more " Stock "

That the seller says 85000 is another sign .. He cant be accused for fraud should the mileage be something else
The odometers can be tampered with ..depending on year model and it has happened.
I have heard stories of attaching a drilling machine and run it backwards .Dont know if it is true : But I suppose it can be for old odometers
As well as an entirety different odometer is installed at the same time the rest of the work was done

75-25 Guessing Not true .
My guess is that at some point this bike has been owned by a complete idiot !
It's obviously been down the road on the RHS, and no attempt has been made to fix the damage.
Road scratches on the RH header, headlamp rim, brake pedal, RH silencer.
If someone tried to ride it on that rock hard K70, they deserved to fall off.
Speedo replaced? well maybe.
Only running it is going to tell me the real state of the engine, and the carbs, I'm told, won't work at present, so more fiddling required.

Looks like original mileage to me. My XS2 only had a little over 5,000 miles on it when I found it, and it too had the original cracked Dunlop K70’s on it…..which is exactly what I put back on it. 😉

Back