New Project started

Looks like I have ended up with 2 x Right-Hand callipers FFS, so anyone see a left calliper on eBay or market placeView attachment 214282View attachment 214283 please let me know

No they look to be left and right calipers..........Must be aftermarket ones because your left one has the Bleed screw and hydraulic hose back to front........

Try swapping the left caliper to the right side, that will tell you.............The inspection hole is in the same place on both calipers.

Here are pics of factory Yamaha L&R calipers used on 7mm discs. The Yamaha calipers have 4 ribs in the casting. The aftermarket calipers have 2 wider ribs on the top and side. Looks like you have 2 RH calipers. Last pic is a aftermarket LH caliper.
. DSCN0823-001.JPGDSCN0824-001.JPGDSCN0825-001.JPGshopping.png

fc1.jpg

If funny because when you posted this pic of the calipers i was saying to myself this isn't right............I couldn't see what it was and looking at the mounting bolts they are definatly a left and a right.............now after seeing the pics of them mounted with the inlet and the bleed screw differences, (as you noticed), between the 2 calipers it is an anomaly for some reason, I do not know why

It isn't that they are both right calipers, a right cannot be mounted on the left or a left on the right. For what ever reason your left caliper has the Hydraulic inlet and the bleed screw swapped around and the hoses on your earlier pic shows the difference on how they were attached previously.

View attachment 214341

If funny because when you posted this pic of the calipers i was saying to myself this isn't right............I couldn't see what it was and looking at the mounting bolts they are definatly a left and a right.............now after seeing the pics of them mounted with the inlet and the bleed screw differences, (as you noticed), between the 2 calipers it is an anomaly for some reason, I do not know why

It isn't that they are both right calipers, a right cannot be mounted on the left or a left on the right. For what ever reason your left caliper has the Hydraulic inlet and the bleed screw swapped around and the hoses on your earlier pic shows the difference on how they were attached previously.
Skull with hindsight I should of checked, they should work till I sort a left hand calliper out

Who am i to disagree with Partzilla.......................yes people have used an SR500 caliper on an XS650. Think you will find the SR500 disk rotor is 5mm thick where the XS650 disk rotor is 7mm.

Some people have also used the SR500 disk rotor on their XS650's usig the XS650 caliper to loose some un-sprung weight.

On the left caliper being different............... I didn't realize the brackets, (left and right) didn't also apply to the caliper part holding he piston..........Had a good look at my twin disk set up, without taking them apart and swapping the inner, (for the want of a better word), it looks like they are interchangeable with the left/right brackets

Last edited:
If you remove caliper from bracket to bleed (position caliper so the bleed port is at the top) a RH (or even a rear) caliper is fine, as long as you have a LH bracket and your brake hose routing/length is good.

Last edited:

That list is missing both the 78 XS650E and 79 XS650F left caliper alternate/optional parts

Back