New Rotor

dubepj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just installed new Rotor from Ricks. 2nd one. first one failed after 20 miles. Installed an LED volt meter on handlebar so now at 3000 RPM it charges 14.3-14.4 volts. Is this a bit high? will it over charge my battery?

Nope. That's good. You should see it drop down around 13. something while riding. It will go up and down depending on the electrical systems needs.

If it does not drop down after a bit of riding then you have a problem

Poor Quality. Nope I don't but some here may. How's your battery?

I think whether or not the voltage drops a little after riding a while will depend on what regulator you're using. My '78 with an automotive VR115 regulator drops, my '83 with the factory regulator doesn't.

That could be 5T. I'm running the factory regulator. Older wiring, But if his system is requiring the 14. something, it may be what took out his first rotor?

I suppose it's possible my '83 taxes the system a bit more, what with the 4 tail light bulbs (2 tail/brake and 2 license plate).

On my '80 SG the voltage at 3,000 RPM and higher is 14.3 - 14.5 volts. At idle it drops down to 11.8 - 12 volts.

Checked my new rotor again, Ohms between the two rings is 6.4. seems to me that it was less than that when I first installed it. Maybe 5.7 or so. Is this a sign that it's on it's way out?? What could cause the rotor to change ohms reading? Still charges fine but I'm worried it's going to fail again. Thanks a lot for you input.

Back