New Seals without a retaining ridge

coder72

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been a while since I rebuilt an engine so I'm hoping someone with more expeience with rebilding the XS2 (or similar) can help.

I am getting ready to start putting my '72 XS2 back together and am going over the various bits and pieces and notice that the new seals I purchased do not have a ridge on the outer surface.

I've attached a photo of the clutch pushrod seal which shows this feature. The original seal is on the left and the new seal I purchased to replace it, without the ridge is on the right.

I would think that this is a pretty important feature but am I wrong? Is it possible to get new original seals with the ridge?

IMG_20210502_125324.jpg

It's still there, just much smaller. The reason they're smaller is so you don't have to split the cases to replace it... you can press it in from the outside. You couldn't really do that with the original unless you cut the ring off. It'll work just fine.

It also helps to seal it in it's hole if you smear a little Yamabond around the O.D. .....

Vsw1pYE.jpg

I push mine in from the outside so the Yamabond takes the place of lubing the seal O.D. with oil or grease to ease fitment. But it has the additional bonus of also helping to seal it in the hole. Another tip - fill the I.D. of the seal, the space between the seal lips, with grease. This also aids in sealing and will avert a "dry start" when the pushrod starts spinning.

3iddQQH.jpg

It also helps to seal it in it's hole if you smear a little Yamabond around the O.D. .....

Vsw1pYE.jpg

I push mine in from the outside so the Yamabond takes the place of lubing the seal O.D. with oil or grease to ease fitment. But it has the additional bonus of also helping to seal it in the hole. Another tip - fill the I.D. of the seal, the space between the seal lips, with grease. This also aids in sealing and will avert a "dry start" when the pushrod starts spinning.

3iddQQH.jpg

That was going to be my next question. Whether I should I use Yamabond around it or not.

My crankcase is apart so I can pretty easily put it all around the OD.

Will put some grease in the ID as well.

Thanks 5twins!

Since you're going this far, you'll probably want to replace the pushrod bushing as well. Most are worn. Best chance of making this area leak-free is had by replacing the seal, the bushing, and switching to the long, one piece pushrod. See post #64 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-4

I am considering the bushing as you suggest 5twins. In the article you refer to you say " Once I removed it, I found it was"... would you have any tips on how to remove the existing bushing? I have no idea other than I might try to rig up some kind of contraption to go in there and push it from the inside out.

Thanks.

It is a split bushing so the easiest way to remove it is to collapse it into itself. That releases it's gripping pressure and it slides right out. Clean it out and find the split down the side. Then drive a small screwdriver or awl between the bushing and the hole it's in, right next to the split. Lever it down to bend it in and release it. You can see how the old one I removed is bent down in that link I provided above.

It is a split bushing so the easiest way to remove it is to collapse it into itself. That releases it's gripping pressure and it slides right out. Clean it out and find the split down the side. Then drive a small screwdriver or awl between the bushing and the hole it's in, right next to the split. Lever it down to bend it in and release it. You can see how the old one I removed is bent down in that link I provided above.

Yes, I noticed that yours was pretty much destroyed in the process. Figured you must have gotten ahold of it with pliars. Okay, I will give that go. Thanks again.

Yes, it's no good anymore anyway, worn too thin, so go ahead and destroy it, lol. You can actually see how thin it is compared to the new ones in the pic.

Back